Author Topic: Glen Huntly House  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Glen Huntly House
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 October 19 03:44 BST (UK) »
Only the name of an owner (Proprietor) or a tenant would show on the valuation rolls. The only match that comes up in that period is in Hyndford Road, Lanark with Proprietor Thomas Mackinlay.

I've gone in to view the rolls, got tenants listed but she isnt on there. Is it possible servants arent included?

As Isobel suggests, if your g g/mother wasn't a Proprietor or Tenant she wouldn't be named on the Valuation Rolls as she'd be a Lodger i.e. not the Owner or Rent Payer which is very different from the VRs (Voters Rolls).

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CaitlinB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 October 19 22:41 BST (UK) »
Only the name of an owner (Proprietor) or a tenant would show on the valuation rolls. The only match that comes up in that period is in Hyndford Road, Lanark with Proprietor Thomas Mackinlay.

I've gone in to view the rolls, got tenants listed but she isnt on there. Is it possible servants arent included?

As Isobel suggests, if your g g/mother wasn't a Proprietor or Tenant she wouldn't be named on the Valuation Rolls as she'd be a Lodger i.e. not the Owner or Rent Payer which is very different from the VRs (Voters Rolls).

Annie

Thanks Annie,

I'll see if the archives have any voters rolls for the 30s.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 October 19 08:37 BST (UK) »
There are printed registers of electors for the 1930s. You should be able to see these in a local library in Renfrewshire, possibly in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, and the National Library of Scotland and the National Records of Scotland, both in Edinburgh, should have complete sets of them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JPeters

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 21 20:15 GMT (UK) »
My grandad lived in Glen Huntly house.. John McNeil ..I went to stay with him during WW11..was there for a few months while the blitz was going on in London .. went to Jeans Street school ..I was born in Kilblain Buildings Greenock October 23. 1932.. name then Jean McNeil.. mum and dad James and Mary McNeil..  My dad James ( Jock) McNeil became Chief Service Engineer for De Haviland's  in Hatfield England.. reason we moved .. Special memories of those long ago times.