Author Topic: Peter Hector Sutherland  (Read 7464 times)

Offline pat77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Hector Sutherland
« on: Wednesday 09 October 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m helping my friend start up her family tree. Her grandfather was Peter Hector Sutherland born 28th Feb 1888. He was a fisherman and Royal Navy Reservist in WW1. He was married to Margaret Campbell who died of TB then married Helen Calder. His parents were William and Cristina (nee Cormack). Williams parents were Hector and Helen( Calder) Sutherland. They were in Lybster and her dad was also born there. She only has one photo from the Caithness side and you can’t see the face so if anyone is related and can help I’d appreciate it. Her dad was born in 1913 and didn’t marry until 1950 so she was a late baby and didn’t get to know her dads relatives. Many thanks Pat

Offline pat77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Hector Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 October 19 19:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Peter was born 1884 not 1888 .

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 19 12:15 BST (UK) »
Information on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I’m guessing the family below is the one you refer but it should be noted that a WILLIAM SUTHERLAND married  CHRISTINA CORMACK 1858 Thurso they also had a son Peter there in 1884

WILLIAM SUTHERLAND   Married    CHRISTINA CORMACK   1877   Latheron

PETER  SUTHERLAND 1884 Latheron

If this is correct, this may be them on Find My Past census but there other possibilites, are you able to confirm?

1881 - Torrienmain, Latheron, Caithness
William   Sutherland   Head   31   1850   Fisherman   Latheron, Caithness,
Christina   Sutherland   Wife   32   1849   Fisherman's Wife Latheron, Caithness,

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 October 19 23:20 BST (UK) »
There is a 1908 marriage with just the initials PH Sutherland to Margaret Campbell

There is a death in 1918 Latheron for a Margaret Sutherland aged 34 - other surname Campbell

There is a Peter Hector Sutherland birth in Latheron in 1883 - you have the wrong birthyear

The marriage of Peter Hector Sutherland to Helen Calder was 1922

The marriage of Peter's grandparents Hector Sutherland to Helen Calder was 1834
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)