Author Topic: Peter McCallum and Harriet Pearson Gilchrist  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McCallum and Harriet Pearson Gilchrist
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 October 19 12:36 BST (UK) »
Death for Peter McCallum, Glandford Brigg, Jan-Mar 1893. Also a birth of Harriet McCallum, Glandford Brigg, 1868.

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I will definitely take a look at those and rule in or out. I think finding a baptism for John is probably the first step, see if it gives a mothers maiden name. I am not sure a shoemaker would make such a switch in career, but I suppose if he needed work anything is possible.

I still haven't been able to ascertain why Harriet has their first son in Falkirk in 1840, as they marry in Leith in 1840 and are back in Leith by 1841 census.

I do think both Harriet and Peter died in Leith though between 1845 and 1851 and their records are missing, Harriet's parents deaths can't be found either for that period (they were in Leith also) and I can't find a baptism for William Gilchrist McCallum 1845 also in Leith, so it seems there are records for around that period missing, destroyed etc.

I also can't find anything for son Henry after 1851 census, I have looked at deaths thinking maybe he died in the St Cuthberts workhouse, but can't locate anything for him.

I have sent an email to Edinburgh City Archives to see if any records exist for that workhouse that might give info, not sure if anyone knows if any exist for there?

When Willliam married in 1867 to Mary Ann Newlands he stated both his parents were deceased and the fact he and his brother are in the workhouse says to me they were orphaned and no one to look after them, with grandparents also gone. Of course just speculation right now.

I know Peter must connect to that McCallum family from Ardchattan because of the DNA matches, I just can't connect him back which is frustrating. Maybe I should look at all baptism for Peter of the right time and try and rule in or out, that's assuming his baptism even exists and of course 1817 in the 1841 census could be way off.

Thank you for your help, it's appreciated.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 October 19 17:14 BST (UK) »
Think the Lincolnshire family is ruled out. Peter married a Margaret Ferguson and was also born in Bute.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
Came to that conclusion also. Found a death for a Wm Gilchrist in St Cuthberts 7/9/1851 but no age listed. & a death for Ann Gilchrist in St Cuthberts 3/5/1847, age 47.

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 June 21 23:53 BST (UK) »
Still stuck on this family.

I do have some new information.

Harriet's father William died in 1843 in Midlothian, registered in St Cuthberts.

Also found a death of a child James McCallum in 1846 (born 1845 although can't find a baptism for him or other son William Gilchrist McCallum). Peter's occupation has changed from a shoemaker to a Tailor at this point.

Still no luck finding Peter or Harriets death in the hope of tracing back on Peter's line. I have been stuck on him for years. Although I do believe he connects to McCallum in Argyllshire going by my dna matches, but no matches close enough to confirm 100%.

The Harriet McCallum in Dumbarton is not my Harriet. I do think she probably died somewhere between 1841-1851 as did Peter, but as I can't find any deaths I can't confirm. Especially because their children William Gilchrist McCallum and Henry James Lawrence McCallum are in St Cuthberts workhouse in 1851.

Christian - Harriets mother I believe is in East Lothian in 1851 under her maiden name Renton. Not sure why she'd revert to maiden name, but everything ties in - she is a Annuitant-navy (which ties in with her husband William who died in 1843), but this could be a wild herring and is possibly not her.

Any suggestions on trying to crack Peter would be appreciated. I have looked at baptism for around when he was born but cant seem to tie any of these in.

Also where did the name of their first born come from? You would speculate than Henry James Lawrence is from Peter's side, seeing as the second son was name from Harriet's side, but again could be barking up the wrong tree there. Nothing fits in from those names anyway.
Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London
Varrall - Kent

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 June 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
Christian - Harriets mother I believe is in East Lothian in 1851 under her maiden name Renton. Not sure why she'd revert to maiden name
Under Scots law a woman does not lose her own surname on marriage, and it's quite common to find married or widowed women listed in the census under their own names rather than their husband's surname.

This is why baptism records give the mother's maiden name, and why deaths of married women in Scotland are indexed by both their own name and the surnames of any husbands, and why a married woman is referred to in legal documents as either "xxx yyy wife of aaa zzz" or "xxx yyy or zzz" where xxx is her given name, yyy is her own surname and zzz is her husband's surname.

So there would be nothing remarkable in Christian Renton, widow of William Gilchrist, being listed as Christian Renton in the 1851 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 June 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
Peter's occupation has changed from a shoemaker to a Tailor at this point.
How sure are you that this is the same man?

To become a qualified shoemaker or a qualified tailor a young man would have to serve an apprenticeship of several years, normally seven, so to qualify for both would take fourteen years assuming no gap between completing one and embarking on the other.

So a change of trade from shoemaker to tailor would be, to put it mildly, extremely unusual.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 June 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
Sandra found this transcription of the 1841 census
William Gilchriest 15 should be 65
Christina Gilchriest   63
Ann Gilchriest   40
Peter Mccallum   24 born 1817.
Harriet Mccallum   23
Henry Mccallum   5 Months.

FreeCEN's transcription of the same is better
William Gilchrist 65 Navy Pension Late Seaman RN  Born Scotland not Midlothian
Christina Gilchrist   63  Born Scotland not Midlothian
Ann Gilchriest   40 Born Midlothian
Peter McCallum   24 Shoemaker Born Scotland not Midlothian
Harriet McCallum   23 Born England
Henry McCallum   5 Months Born Scotland not Midlothian

This ties with the baptism of Henry James Laurence in Falkirk on 31 January 1841.

You then say that they had a son William in 1845.
Then that you found a death of a child James McCallum in 1846 (born 1845 although can't find a baptism for him or other son William Gilchrist McCallum). 

What evidence do you have that Peter McCallum, shoemaker, father of William b 1845, is the same person as Peter McCallum, tailor, father of James b 1845?

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 June 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Yes that is them in the 1841 census. I have that information as well as Henry and James in 1851 in St Cuthberts workhouse.

William Gilchrist McCallum born approx 1843 is my direct ancestor (no baptism found) but I have all other records pertaining to him which concur that he is the son of Peter McCallum and Harriet Pearson Gilchrist.

I know James McCallum born about 1845 and died 1846 is the son of Peter as I have the death OPR and address given for father Peter McCallum a Tailor is 3 South Fort Street on the OPR - which is the same address as in the 1841 census. There is a possibility that Tailor is a Sailor, but looking at all other T's on the page it definitely looks like a T = tailor. As I did wonder if he maybe switched careers being encouraged by Harriets father a Navy Pensioner.

I am completely stuck with Peter. I do still think he likely died between 1841 and 1851 as did Harriet, but obviously with no records found I can confirm this, they are nowhere to be found after 1841.

I am desperately trying to find clues to trace Peters line as it is he I am stuck on. I've looked at other McCallum families in the area as well as wills that could be possibly family in the hope it might mention him but no luck tying him in. Going by the 1841 census he was not born in the County.

I keep hoping I may get some closer McCallum dna matches which may give a clue.

My dna matches at the moment have strong ties to a McCallum family from Argyllshire, but I can't fill in the missing links between him and them so can't confirm this. Ive looked at baptisms of Peter McCallum on or around 1817 but again I can't find a connection.

The use of names Henry James Lawrence for first son is definitely interesting and I can't seem to tie these names into Harriets side or a possible McCallum family.

Bennett - Devonport
Michelin - London