Author Topic: I'm looking for a marriage record for Catherine Conway and Daniel Gillen/Gillan  (Read 1007 times)

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Probably between 1804 and 1815. Catherine is from Killashee, and I have no idea where Daniel is from. He may not even be from Longford, but I assume it's very likely considering his wife was.

Catherine is said to have been born around 1794, and Daniel around 1784.

Any information at all that could help me with this would be greatly appreciated. Considering my surname is Gillen, I feel like this is probably the most important branch of the family to trace.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for a marriage record for Catherine Conway and Daniel Gillen/Gillan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 October 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
Irish research can be difficult, and I’m not very knowledgable on the subject so will leave it up to others to help you, but the answers to a couple of questions may help:

How do you know Catherine was from Killashee?

What is the source of this information?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for a marriage record for Catherine Conway and Daniel Gillen/Gillan
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 October 19 00:08 BST (UK) »

Registers start too late....  https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0170  Killashee

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 October 19 00:18 BST (UK) »
Irish research can be difficult, and I’m not very knowledgable on the subject so will leave it up to others to help you, but the answers to a couple of questions may help:

How do you know Catherine was from Killashee?

We had no idea at all where she was from until I found an obituary on Ancestry from a Brooklyn newspaper, more than likely submitted by her kids. It mentions she was from Killashee, Longford. The dates and names all matched up in the article.

Her gravestone here in New York shows her death date, and some information passed down in the family plus a death record for Daniel from Lancashire (they moved there before going to the US, and Daniel died in England).
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 October 19 04:15 BST (UK) »

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 October 19 00:30 BST (UK) »

Is there a chance I'd be able to find some sort of record in a church in Killashee? I'm going to Ireland next summer, and I intend on doing a lot of family rsearch.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 October 19 01:13 BST (UK) »

Is there a chance I'd be able to find some sort of record in a church in Killashee? I'm going to Ireland next summer, and I intend on doing a lot of family rsearch.

Chance is minimal to nil. You can see by the link that the earliest register which survived began 1826. The links to more information below the images of the register fronts take you to a list of registers with dates and whereabouts of originals or transcriptions. According to that list there are no earlier registers. It may be helpful to read the introduction to National Library of Ireland Catholic Registers.
The first 2 decades of 19th century are generally too early for surviving Catholic registers outside of cities and major towns.
Perhaps someone belonging to a local history group may be able to verify that. If there were any earlier registers someone would have discovered them.
 My knowledge of County Longford is confined to a visit many years ago.

Edit. Registers for adjacent parish Templemichael & Ballymacormack begin 1802.  A bit further away, Ardagh & Moydow were very early, 1793. They can be seen on the map of parishes on the link. Click on parish name to see registers.
Cowban