Author Topic: Charles Newenham and Ann Bowler, Snugmore (near Kinsale)  (Read 3614 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Newenham and Ann Bowler, Snugmore (near Kinsale)
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 October 19 13:23 BST (UK) »

Documents, mainly leases, relating to property of James Ronayne at Kinsale;

principal parties,

James Bowler, Lord Kinsale,

John Murryane; 1645-84.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, D. 25,669-81

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 October 19 13:53 BST (UK) »

(CJ 22/7/1756) – TO be set immediately the lands of Ballymachus, in the Barony of Kinnalea, within three miles of Kinsale, containing 250 acres of good pasture land, with a good farm, house, barn and stable, a young orchard near the sea convenient for manure. Proposals to be received by the widow Bowler in Paul-street, Corke, Administrix to her late husband Walter Bowler of Kinsale; by Mr. Barnabas Pressicks of Kinsale, or Riggs Falkiner, Esq; in Corke, N.B.

The said widow has a large garden and summer house, to set in Kinsale

https://corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/potpourri/corkancestors.com/Kinsale.htm

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 October 19 13:58 BST (UK) »

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 October 19 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of the new information! I will check out the links and try to rule some of the lines out. James Bowler is new name to me but the fact that he is in the same area might connect the families. It seems like the Bowlers (William and Walter as well) held  a several positions (lawyer, sovereign) for a few generations specifically in Kinsale. The other thread that I did a few years ago on Mary Cole and Mary Bowler is the family that I am trying to connect to Charles Newenham and Ann Bowler. I linked my thread on Snugmore and forgot to link the second thread in my original post in this thread. Sorry about that. I believe that Ann Bowler Newenham is referenced in a letter that I have dated 1851, written by "Your ever attached brother, Harry", to Mary Cole. I will see what your links can help me figure out and the marriage certificate might tell me when I get it. It does seem like the Newenham and Bowler families have a long history in Cork. If I am able to connect the dots I will be sure to post them on this thread. Thanks again, I really appreciate the new information and new resources. 
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of the new information! I will check out the links and try to rule some of the lines out. James Bowler is new name to me but the fact that he is in the same area might connect the families. It seems like the Bowlers (William and Walter as well) held  a several positions (lawyer, sovereign) for a few generations specifically in Kinsale. The other thread that I did a few years ago on Mary Cole and Mary Bowler is the family that I am trying to connect to Charles Newenham and Ann Bowler. I linked my thread on Snugmore and forgot to link the second thread in my original post in this thread. Sorry about that. I believe that Ann Bowler Newenham is referenced in a letter that I have dated 1851, written by "Your ever attached brother, Harry", to Mary Cole. I will see what your links can help me figure out and the marriage certificate might tell me when I get it. It does seem like the Newenham and Bowler families have a long history in Cork. If I am able to connect the dots I will be sure to post them on this thread. Thanks again, I really appreciate the new information and new resources.

No Surname or Address for Harry?  Is he a Cole?

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 October 19 19:16 BST (UK) »
Another relative thought Mary was an only child but the letter says differently. No surname, just "Harry" and an Abbeyleix address (see previous thread) https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684501.0
I tried finding a Henry Cole who attended Trinity College because in the letter he discusses working at Abbeyleix as probably a surgeon in training. He mentions that he has been assigned there by the governor and was going to be moved again and he hoped not back to Dublin. He seemed younger than Mary because he mentions being advised by both Mary and her husband James Oldham to take the position. It is a complicated story with many little clues but not enough the make all of the connection (probably like most families). 

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 October 19 19:31 BST (UK) »

Are you sure he went to Trinity?

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 October 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
No I am not. That was the only one I could find when I was looking several years ago.