Author Topic: Mary Jane Murphy - The search for her birth record  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Murphy - The search for her birth record
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 October 19 21:49 BST (UK) »
James would have been 13 in 1880.
;D ;D Oh yea

and only 17 when William was born which also seems a bit odd. Wonder if he's fibbing about his age?

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 October 19 10:23 BST (UK) »
The James Murphy to Agnes Lougheed marriage was in Church of Ireland. The James from 1901 census was R.C.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 October 19 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann.
I think James or John James was fibbing in the 1901 census. He died later that year & his age is given as 45, which would make more sense.
The daughter, Catherine Rebecca, died in 1901, age 7 mnths.
As well as son William, they also had another son, John James, b. 1881.
I think Mary Jane (Hoy) may have been the illegitimate daughter of Margaret (nee Cullen) but cannot locate her birth in Co.Leitrim or anywhere. Perhaps the birth was never registered.  Her father, Martin, age 68, is on the 1901 census in County Leitrim. There was a Hoy family living in Co. Leitrim, quite near to the Cullens about the right time.
Looks like a dead end.

Offline Loughwater1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 July 21 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello, I’m picking this up after some considerable time for my mother ( Mary Janes grand daughter) plus attempting to dig a little further back on the same line.

Would really appreciate your experienced minds on this and any leads to resolve the mystery.

Thankyou for all the previous help.

To recap:
Mary Jane Murphy born 20/2/1893 co Leitrim , potentially a Hoy at birth as per the 1901 census or maybe a Cullen at birth as her mother was Margaret Cullen (spinster) born 1877/1878 enniskillen.
We are still trying to locate Mary James’ birth record. She married William mcginnes at St. Peter’s in belfast 1915.

We are also very interested to understand more on Mary Jane’s mother’s (Cullen) line.

Margaret Cullen born 1877/1878 married John James Murphy on 10.2.1899 in at michaels  enniskillen , her father is listed as a Martin Cullen on marriage record,  can’t locate his birth / death records nor Margaret’s ( wonder if she married again after Murphy died)?
Thankyou in advance 😃