Author Topic: Shevlane Origins  (Read 9569 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shevlane Origins
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 October 19 15:28 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 October 19 15:31 BST (UK) »
I am now concentrating on Shevlanes of Shraigh but I can see that it might get very complicated because of the various Shevlanes in various townlands  ;)

Here is Ned, of Shragh, marrying Sabina Calpin. His father is Michael and a John Shevlane is a witness

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10429/5797338.pdf

How sure are you that you have the right parents for your John?
I can’t see a marriage to Bridget Murphy? Do you have the details?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:17 BST (UK) »
Heywood, you may well be right about John being son of Michael Shevlane and Anne Barrett. It would fit naming patterns considering there are two sons by Bridget Murphy called Michael, and a daughter called Anne. It also keeps the same location. Moreover, his death in 1954 gives age as 84 years as does his tombstone - https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1954/04439/4160377.pdf. You have convinced me!

So we have Edward "Ned" Shevlane as his brother along with sister Catherine Shevlane who married John Cuffe. That makes the relationship to Cuffe family more clear now. Very useful information here.

Marriage to Bridget Murphy only given on other records later on - it occurred in 1895.

Question now turns to parentage of Michael Shevlane? And the other families do remain useful to keep in mind - thanks for those details Hallmark.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:26 BST (UK) »
Addition: Manus Shevlane seems to have been another brother - as he was uncle to Ned Shevlane's son. Just found death record for Ned Shevlane at Shragh in 1903. He was only 45 years old, and this explains why the son Patrick ends up with his uncle Manus. Though given the age gap I do wonder if Manus was perhaps a great-uncle? Indeed he and "Maggie" seem to marry in 1865, with this record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1865/11594/8266557.pdf. That means I have John Shevlane son of Michael Shevlane son of Edward Shevlane. It also means his brother Ned was just named after a grandfather.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Michael Shevlane and Ann Barret March 1858 - dispensation for 3rd and 4th degree of consanguinity

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634607#page/7/mode/1up

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:32 BST (UK) »

Any on census with Philip, 108, Bows Street, Blyth, Northumberland  ??

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
Ah so Ann Barrett and Michael Shevlane are cousins? Hopefully I can locate their exact relationship. Though no death records obvious for either of them, which frustrates research. When we say 3rd degree what level of relationship are we talking about? Edward Shevlane certainly seems to be Michael's father, and I also find the name Edward cropping up as a son of Neal Shevlane who died in 1900, Belmullet. I think we have to find more about Edward somehow. All a lot to think about now. Nothing on Philip I know about, but he must appear somewhere.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 October 19 16:57 BST (UK) »
Good luck if you are going to search Barretts in Belmullet  ;)

They may well be 1st cousins according to charts.

Here is a likely death for Michael - 81 yrs in 1900 of Shraigh.
Unfortunately, he died in the workhouse so the informant is an employee.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05758/4626458.pdf

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
What records might exist to find an origin for Edward Shevlane? I am curious whether Ned Shevlane who died in 1882 might relate, and Neal Shevlane who had son Edward also. So far I only have Edward Shevlane with sons Manus and Michael, and online pages suggest daughters too.