Author Topic: gething.  (Read 2335 times)

Offline JanieRGethin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gething.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 June 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
How can I contact you please?

I've been looking for this lady for years!  Looking at what you are asking, I suspect I have the half of the information you need and you have the half of the information I need.

Offline JanieRGethin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 June 20 07:40 BST (UK) »
I see so many helpful replies in this thread, perhaps someone else here can help me?

I have been helping "Anona", an 82 year old lady who doesn't know who her father was.  She has taken the Ancestry test and we have managed to establish who her grandfather was.  We have also managed to establish that the grandfather didn't marry the grandmother and we still haven't found the child (her father).

She also has 28 DNA matches that suggests that her great-grandparents are John Gethin (1863 Staffordshire) and Emma Walklate (1867 Staffordshire).  They had 10 children.  8 of those children have been eliminated leaving only two girls as suspects for her grandmother.  Florrie Gethin and Dorothy Gethin. 

We have established the movements of Dorothy Gethin from birth to death and it seems unlikely she is the grandmother (but haven't been able to rule out her having a child and putting it up for adoption completely).

Florrie Gethin

Florrie was born 30th November 1889 in Hednesford, Staffordshire to John Gethin and Emma Walklate (as Florrie Gethin)

In the 1891 census she is living with her parents John and Emma Gethin in Hednesford, Staffordshire (listed as Florrie Gething).

In the 1901 census she is living with Edwin and Elizabeth Grundy in Radcliffe in Lancashire (listed as Florrie Gethin).  Her aunt Sarah Walklate was previously a domestic for Edwin and Elizabeth Grundy - there is no family connection to the Grundys.

21 April 1904 she is baptized in Radcliffe, Lancashire aged 14. (listed as Florrie Gethin).

In the 1911 census she is living with Alfred and Annie Hubble (Annie Walklate Hubble is her aunt) at 5 Orchard Road, Balsall Heath, Worcestershire.  (listed as Florrie Gethin)

In 1918 she marries Henry Forrest in Stourbridge, Worcestershire (listed as Florence Gething).

And from there, I lose her.  I have no idea what happens to her.  I note some previous comments in this thread that she is living in Staffordshire and has children?  Perhaps someone can help me with that please?  Or apollonia, perhaps you know more history that would assist me?

Thanks very much.
Janie

Offline JanieRGethin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 June 20 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the helpful comments in this thread and elsewhere on the forum, I've been able to establish 4 children.

Harry Forrest born 1920 Walsall Staffordshire.
Florence May Forrest born 1922 Walsall Staffordshire married Peter Golding.
Vincent J Forrest born 1924 Walsall Staffordshire married Lily M Lovell.
Ronald James Forest born 1928 Walsall Staffordshire.

Are there any other children?  Preferably born earlier than 1920 to Florrie Gethin?
Can anyone help me find a living descendant that I could contact and talk to please?

Thanks very much.
Janie

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Janie & welcome to Rootschat

Apollonia who started this thread has not been online with Rootschat since last December but she will get an email notifying her of your reply.

Do you have a copy of the 1918 marriage cert confirming that her father was John?  As you will see from earlier replies - there are 2 births very close together for her name and one was illegitimate
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JanieRGethin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole, I appreciate your assistance.

Janie

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
Have added a bit to my reply above which you may not have seen
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JanieRGethin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
I don't, but the other child is her cousin, daughter of Maria Gething (unmarried).  She remains in Hednesford.

This one moves to Worcestershire in 1911 to live with the Hubbles.  I will get around to getting the marriage certificate to prove it for sure one day.  At the moment, I'm still trying to establish who is most likely Anona's grandmother before I have to order and pay for lots of certificates.

Thanks for checking.

Janie

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 28 June 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
The Florence who married Henry Forrest was b 18.11.1889 (not 1890 as shown on the 1939)

www.freebmd.org.uk has 2 births - both in the Cannock registration district

Florence Gething December qtr 1889 - no mothers maiden name - illegitimate
Florry Gething March qtr 1890 mmn Walklate

The 1918 marriage to Henry Forrest shows her as Florence - not Florry.  The 1891 entry with parents John & Emma (nee Walklate) refers to her as Florrie as does the 1901 entry

You can find her on the 1939 register with Henry but birthyear is shown as 1890 although day & month are correct

Births to the marriage can be found using freebmd to search Forrest births with mothers maiden name Gething/Gethin

However - it is still not certain which of the 2 birth entries married Henry Forrest unless you have the 1918 marriage cert

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 28 June 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Just found these entries on Staffs BMD

Florry Gething born 30.11.1889
Florence Gething born 18.11.1889

Florence is the one who married Henry - see 1939 register