Author Topic: Unusual brick wall - James Gordon and Elisabeth Duncan  (Read 2420 times)

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unusual brick wall - James Gordon and Elisabeth Duncan
« on: Saturday 12 October 19 21:43 BST (UK) »
This is more about Elisabeth Duncan than it is James Gordon, but I figured I should start with the information I know is accurate and work my way outwards.

So James Gordon was born 1798 and baptized in Inverkeilor, Angus. He is the son of Charles Gordon and Ann Croll.

There are two marriage records on Scotland's People between James Gordon and Elizabeth Duncan, with several months between each. James is said to be from the parish of Marykirk, and Elisabeth from Fordoun. This part isn't as important, but why is there a different record for each of them?

Elisabeth's death certificate has her listed dead at age 73 in 1872. Her parents are listed as James Duncan and Helen Smith. However, there is no listing of a marriage between James Duncan and Helen Smith in that time period, regardless of what spelling of the first name Elisabeth I use. However, there is a late November 1798 birth/baptism in Fordoun, where only her father James is shown on the actual baptism record. Before clicking on buy/view, the parents' names are listed: James Duncan and Jean Brand. Neither Helen smith nor Jean Brand are written on the baptism record.

There are two marriage records in Kincardineshire in the 1790s between a James Duncan and Jean Brand: June 2, 1792 in St. Cyrus, and June 16, 1792 in Benholm. I haven't bought either, though.

So I guess the first concern here is, who is Elisabeth's mother?
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual brick wall - James Gordon and Elisabeth Duncan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 October 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
When a couple decided to marry, they went to the session clerk and had their names recorded, the banns were then read and the marriage took place. What a marriage register tells us varies. Sometimes it is just the intention to marry, sometimes the reading of the banns is recorded, sometimes the fact that the marriage actually took place is added. Where a couple came from different parishes, the banns were read in both places, hence the two records and the different dates. Where two such records survive, it is always worth seeing both, as one might contain information not included in the other. The marriage is generally more likely to have taken place in the bride's parish.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 October 19 01:34 BST (UK) »

".....Elisabeth's death certificate has her listed dead at age 73 in 1872. Her parents are listed as James Duncan and Helen Smith".

Where did Elizabeth die.......what cause of death......who is the informant....where is Elizabeth buried?

Can you please list all the information on this death certificate.

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 October 19 01:42 BST (UK) »

".....Elisabeth's death certificate has her listed dead at age 73 in 1872. Her parents are listed as James Duncan and Helen Smith".

Where did Elizabeth die.......what cause of death......who is the informant....where is Elizabeth buried?

Can you please list all the information on this death certificate.

She died in Dundee, cause of death was bowel obstruction, and the informant was her son in law, David Mowat (the husband of her daughter and my 4xgreat aunt Jane Gordon). Unfortunately, I don't know anything about her burial. It's not on the record, and I couldn't find it on deceasedonline.com.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 October 19 03:59 BST (UK) »
For Burials in Dundee, may be worth contacting although there may be a small charge?

https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Burial%20Records.pdf

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 October 19 04:13 BST (UK) »
For Burials in Dundee, may be worth contacting although there may be a small charge?

https://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Burial%20Records.pdf

Annie

Thank you; I just emailed them. I'll follow up here when I hear back.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 October 19 07:37 BST (UK) »
You are interested in two James DUNCAN marriages, 1792.  What would be on these records that could confirm / refute the possibility that either marriage is for the parents of your Elizabeth DUNCAN who married James GORDON.

Death certificate for Elizabeth GORDON, died 1872......can you please list all the information on this document.

Where is your Elizabeth GORDON at 1871 Census?.

Her parents on the death certificate....James DUNCAN / Helen SMITH.  As mother of her children this Helen would be SMITH.  This Helen would be SMITH at her first marriage.  If she marries James DUNCAN as a widow, she would be Helen  ***. .....anyone.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 October 19 13:02 BST (UK) »
In Scotland woman legally kept their maiden name so Helen would be recorded as Smith in legal documents she would be Helen Duncan or Smith

SD what are the names of Elizabeth children oldest to youngest as this could provide a clue to her parents as her son in law may not have known her mother's name

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 October 19 13:29 BST (UK) »
Does the DC give Helen Duncan, M.S. Smith or Helen Smith with no M.S.?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"