Author Topic: Unusual brick wall - James Gordon and Elisabeth Duncan  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual brick wall - James Gordon and Elisabeth Duncan
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about her burial. It's not on the record, and I couldn't find it on deceasedonline.com.
DeceasedOnline is a commercial web site which is set up to provide a service to councils by digitising and putting online their burial records, and to members of the public by making the information available for a fee. It is not an official repository of information, and it does not have agreements with every council in the country.

As far as I know, the City of Dundee has not signed up to put its burial records on DeceasedOnline. You have to contact the city council direct.

It's not usual for the place of burial to be on a death certificate - this information was only recorded on death certificates from 1855 to 1860-ish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 October 19 17:46 BST (UK) »
There are two marriage records on Scotland's People between James Gordon and Elizabeth Duncan, with several months between each.
I was a bit puzzled by this, but whwn I checked in index, the two records are in Marykirk on 12 February 1819 and Fordoun on 6 March 1819. That isn't 'several months' apart, it's just 22 days apart. It may well be that the Marykirk record refers to the first time the banns were proclaimed, and the Fordoun one may contain the actual date of marriage. Three weeks between first proclamation and wedding isn't unusual.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Does the DC give Helen Duncan, M.S. Smith or Helen Smith with no M.S.?

Annie

Helen Duncan, M.S. Smith
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 October 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
So I'm still not sure who this Jean Brand person is, and why she's her mother at Elizabeth's baptism, but Helen Smith is her mother at death.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 October 19 00:35 GMT (UK) »
"the informant was her son in law, David Mowat"

Could he have picked up the question of 'mother' wrong & given his own mother's name/maiden name?

I've often seen wrong info. on DCs where in-laws or g/children are the informants i.e. not unusual.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 October 19 03:30 GMT (UK) »

However, there is a late November 1798 birth/baptism in Fordoun, where only her father James is shown on the actual baptism record. Before clicking on buy/view, the parents' names are listed: James Duncan and Jean Brand.

Are you saying that they have indexed a baptism with a mother's name, but no such name appears on the original record?  Have you asked SP what is going on there?

Debra  :)

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 October 19 23:58 GMT (UK) »
"the informant was her son in law, David Mowat"

Could he have picked up the question of 'mother' wrong & given his own mother's name/maiden name?

I've often seen wrong info. on DCs where in-laws or g/children are the informants i.e. not unusual.

Annie

No, his mother was Margaret Stewart
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline sdgillen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 November 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »

However, there is a late November 1798 birth/baptism in Fordoun, where only her father James is shown on the actual baptism record. Before clicking on buy/view, the parents' names are listed: James Duncan and Jean Brand.

Are you saying that they have indexed a baptism with a mother's name, but no such name appears on the original record?  Have you asked SP what is going on there?

Debra  :)

They said that assuming I have the same Elizabeth Duncan for both records, then the only possibility is that the informant made some sort of mistake regarding the mother.
Gordon, Cameron, Gillen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 November 19 01:04 GMT (UK) »
"However, there is a late November 1798 birth/baptism in Fordoun, where only her father James is shown on the actual baptism record. Before clicking on buy/view, the parents' names are listed: James Duncan and Jean Brand"

"Are you saying that they have indexed a baptism with a mother's name, but no such name appears on the original record?  Have you asked SP what is going on there?

Debra
  :)"

"They said that assuming I have the same Elizabeth Duncan for both records, then the only possibility is that the informant made some sort of mistake regarding the mother."

This doesn't answer the question of whether Jean Brand is named as mother on the image of the baptism of Elizabeth in 1798?

Can you quote exactly what's written on that baptism please including witnesses?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"