Author Topic: Dunphys in Queens Co.  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Michael Dunphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunphys in Queens Co.
« on: Sunday 13 October 19 06:56 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the Dunphy family who lived on Coolkerry townland just east of Coneyburrow Bridge. Only one wall of their home, formerly a thatched roof cottage remains. I have established that Michael Dunphy (b.approx 1814), his wife Ellen (nee Guidara; B. 1828) and their 4 children lived on site. Subsequent generations of Dunphys continued to live in the home. I'd like to know who was Michael's father and also more about Ellen, Michael jnr wife. Can anyone help?         

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Dunphys in Queens Co.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 October 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I'm researching the Dunphy family who lived on Coolkerry townland just east of Coneyburrow Bridge. Only one wall of their home, formerly a thatched roof cottage remains. I have established that Michael Dunphy (b.approx 1814), his wife Ellen (nee Guidara; B. 1828) and their 4 children lived on site. Subsequent generations of Dunphys continued to live in the home. I'd like to know who was Michael's father and also more about Ellen, Michael jnr wife. Can anyone help?       

Is this Ellen in the 1901 census?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Grantstown/Coolkerry/1643802/

If so, this is the townland of Coolkerry.
https://www.townlands.ie/laois/clarmallagh/coolkerry/grantstown/coolkerry/
Coneyburrow Bridge is on the western edge.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 October 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Michael Dunphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 October 19 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, these are the 2 folk I mentioned in my query and the townland you found is where they lived. I'm not sure of Ellen's origins, but I seem to recall she was from Tipperary. Despite a good search I haven't as yet been able to find a marriage cert for Michael and Ellen. This cert would likely give me the names of their parents which would be a big breakthrough. Regards - Mike

Offline campiom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 20 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Church Marriage Record (Michael Dunphy and Ellen Guidera 1854)

Offline Michael Dunphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the church marriage record for Michael Dunphy and Ellen Guidera. This indicates that they were married in County Tipperary, but unfortunately as with the great majority of church marriage records the names of parents are not mentioned. Thanks for your help.  Mike