Author Topic: Marriage look up please  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage look up please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 October 19 17:57 BST (UK) »
Another great find Tickettyboo  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 14:50 BST (UK) »
I know the marriage has already been found for William and Margaret on here but I was at the archives for a short while this morning so took the opportunity to get the full entry for you:

St Ann, Newcastle upon Tyne
Entry 210
Saturday March 5th 1898
William Wilson & Margaret Stephenson Bailey
His age: 22  Her age: 19
Bachelor & Spinster
Labourer
His residence: Ford's Court By Rv Bank
Her residence: Back Stepney Bank
Fathers:
William Wilson - Carpenter
John Bailey (deceased) - Weaver
Witnesses: Thomas (??) & Margaret (Canfor?)
All signed
By Banns

Also if this is him -William was buried at Heaton Cemetery:

Entry: 27727
William Wilson
Age 48
Buried 16 January 1924
Place of death: 9 Back Stephen Street
Residence: Byker
Section 10   Grave number 278
Cost: 5/ 

Click on the thumbnail image to enlarge map on site below.

http://www.margaret-hall-genealogy.com/page8.htm

I have also checked for an Evening Chronicle notice but did not see one.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 15:16 BST (UK) »
This is great! Was this just the archives at the city library? I must try and get there next week. Is it easy enough to understand most things? If that’s not too silly a question.

It seems they lived around that area as they lived at Back George St too.

I wonder if the Thomas was my great great grandfather I’ve often wondered if him and William were brothers as Margaret’s sister Mary Elizabeth married Thomas Wilson. So I’m technically searching two stems of Wilson’s just to confuse matters even more. Their mother was a nightmare too.

Funny he should be buried there half the family are! I may have to just take a trip and try and find his grave. Thank you so much.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 15:31 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Claravale.  :)

I found the marriage & burial at Tyne and Wear Archives.  However, it will also be possible to view the burial at the Newcastle City Library too - they have loads of burial registers on microfilm.

You will be able to find his site but remember not everyone has a grave stone - I think overall most don't. 

The Archives are open Tues- Fri 10-4 and the library is open from 10 am late night Tuesday & Thursday til 7 pm.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1898&qtr=1&vol=10b&page=99&search=search

By the way - do you know about the Marriage Locator website - this is a great resource to sometimes be able to find where these old marriages took place in the Newcastle area especially. :)

Added: It is easy to understand things at the library and archives. However, the staff are very helpful especially if you let them know you are new and might need some help.  I was a bit daunted when I first stepped foot in the archives but it is easy to soon pick things up. :)

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, I’ve not heard of that site so will give it a go thank you.

A couple of years ago we decided to try and find my great grandfathers grave we knew roughly where abouts it could be (in Heaton cemetery). I rang the civic and they said there was a headstone but it might not necessarily be his. As it happens his daughter is buried in the same grave, they both died the same year, and another person was buried last. It is her headstone on the grave, they arranged for someone to meet us and show us exactly where it is, I came home and traced the lady to figure it and basically she was married to a descendant of Margaret’s brother (off the top of my head) I traced a relative who just happened to be friends and neighbours with the granddaughter of my great aunt who was buried in the grave first and they had no idea!

Amazing what you can find out. William would be buried not too far away from him either.
My mum can briefly recall knowing ‘Wilson’s’ as she put it growing up but cannot remember who or where they were from.