Author Topic: Finding family in Canada  (Read 767 times)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding family in Canada
« on: Monday 14 October 19 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am trying to find relatives that left Northern Ireland to settle in Canada no one knows where and what happened to them. ??? ???

If there a website you can get the census from or is there a telephone website etc ???

I know this is a shot in the dark but I haven't got a clue where to start.

There names are J R Faulkner and M K Faulkner originally Farren born 1940's and they ha two boys who I know off 

Thanks for all your help it is very much appreciated

Kieran

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 October 19 00:39 BST (UK) »
You need to include birthyears.  If there is any possibility that they or their children are still alive their names should be removed from your post as RC has a strict no living persons policy
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding family in Canada
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kieran

Vital records are run by the provinces in Canada and most have pretty strict rules about accessing birth marriage and death records. They are not put into the public domain within months of the event as they are in the UK. Each Province has different rules.

Trying to access them before they are in the public domain usually involves providing proof of relationship. For example I was born in the 1940s in the UK and I live in Ontario. My death record will not be in the public domain until 70 years after my death.  The latest death records from Ontario that Ancestry has are for 1947. The latest Canadian census available is 1921. We were lucky to get it released early. The latest US Census available is 1940.

This is why gravestones sites and newspaper death notices and obits are used extensively in Canada and the US. Funeral homes now hold some information on line if the family requests it and so do some of the major papers. If you don't even know which part of Canada they may be in it will be difficult to find them. They may even have moved on to the States.

As Carole says they are highly likely to still be alive so Rootsweb is not the place put their names. You are dealing with names that are not unusual and I sorry to say that even searching for them on the internet is not likely to produce results unless you have have more specific knowledge of their location, occupations or interests.

I myself have lost touch with people over the years and it is very hard to find them again unless they have some achievement that gets them recognition in the news or I find an obituary. I did find somebody on a sex offenders list in the States which was a bit of a shock.

Try Googling "Looking For plus the name". There are companies that hold information on people but you may have to pay for it.

Good Luck.

Venelow
Canada

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather, his brother and family emigrated in 1906.

Kellys Directories may help in providing some information as they did for tracing what my Grandfather was doing for a living and where he lived.

Nos Racines is a Canadian family roots program that may help, they did have an online Book about a small Town in Saskatchewan where the content was written c1970’s by many of the pioneering emigrant families descendants that was very useful for me so maybe there is something similar fir the province you are interested in.

Good luck

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 14:33 BST (UK) »

Thanks for your informative post venelow.

I have a cluster of DNA Matches in Ontario, and have been trying to ascertain how their families arrived there from Manchester, Lancashire, UK.

It's certainly not easy to trace people in Canada!

Best of luck keiran257.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 20:30 BST (UK) »

Thanks for your informative post venelow.

I have a cluster of DNA Matches in Ontario, and have been trying to ascertain how their families arrived there from Manchester, Lancashire, UK.

It's certainly not easy to trace people in Canada!

Best of luck keiran257.

Romilly.

Do you know approximately when they went to Canada?

There was a lot of emigration due to various settlement drives where for farming a certain acreage of land for a specific term the settlers received title to said land.

My own family went to Saskatchewan as part if what became known as the Barr Pioneers.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 20:56 BST (UK) »

Hi Colin,

Unfortunately I'm not totally sure...

I only have Ancestry Premium, (UK records). I can see from Trees on there, people being born in Lancashire, and then marrying in Canada, etc. Some also went from Scotland, specifically Coldstream and Galloway.

Most of the emigration seems to have been from 1860 on...

My matches are clustered in Woodstock and Inverkip, Ontario.

I have one match, who I think is a 2nd or 3rd Cousin, and I also match to his Nephew and Grandson. I wish I could work it out!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.