Author Topic: Seeking assistance to find the Birthplace of Irish Ancestor Catherine McKenna  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking assistance to find the Birthplace of Irish Ancestor Catherine McKenna
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 October 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tina,

Bearing in mind that Margaret was already married in 1851 -- with children, I can't see her being the same Margaret as the one baptised in 1834. The latter one would be too young.

We could do with finding the marriage in Ireland of Bernard Hughes to Margaret McKenna to see the father's name for that Margaret. Unfortunately I cannot immediately find that marriage, maybe some other Rootschatter can. I will search some more though.

It is really odd - as you say the names of Margaret, Catherine, John - and a William Taylor - all living either together, or in close proximity to each other - does tend to make you think it's the right family. It's just Margaret's age which throws it out of kilter.

I will look further for her marriage to Bernard - in case I have missed it.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking assistance to find the Birthplace of Irish Ancestor Catherine McKenna
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 October 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

I entirely agree with you, Margaret, Catherine, John McKenna, and a father called Richard, plus a Sponsor called William Taylor does tend to make one think this is the right family.  Margaret had two children, according to the 1851 Census, born in Ireland, Mary age 7 and Catherine age 5.  Now if Margaret was born in 1834 as well as being baptised in that year, that would have made her 10 when she was married to Bernard Hughes and had Mary, not very likely.

Who said Irish Genealogy can be “challenging”.

Tina.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 October 19 20:04 BST (UK) »
I am completely stuck on this one.

I cannot find a marriage between Bernard Hughes and a Margaret McKenna, nor can I see the births of their children who were shown in 1851 as born in Ireland.

Bernard isn't listed amongst the Dublin Police Records on Find My Past - unless he only became a Policeman after coming to England.

I am just wondering if his wife Margaret McKenna is some other relative of the McKenna family and not the sister of Catherine. I know Bernard has described Catherine as 'Sister in Law' -- but maybe she is a cousin or some other relative.

Unless it's the wrong family altogether - it's the only explanation I can think of at the moment, in view of the discrepancy between the ages between Margaret born to Richard and Anne - and Margaret married to Bernard.

I'm really sorry not to be able to come up with something definitive with this query.
Places of interest;

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 October 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines,

No need to be “sorry”, I really appreciate your help.  I’m sure there’s a connection somewhere, we just haven’t worked it out yet.

Thanks to you I’ve been able to look at the Catholic Parish Registers of Baldoyle in the National Library of Ireland and the St. Paul’s, Arran Quay Registers.  Unfortunately the Library does not have the Registers of Artane, Contarf, Coolock or Santry.  But you have obviously seen a “transcription”, as mentioned in your post of 16th October.  What site did you see these on ?

So near, yet so far.  I will now try to pursue other avenues.  And obviously let you know if I do eventually manage to untie the “Gordian Knot”.

Thank you again for all your help and efforts.

Tina.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 October 19 21:30 BST (UK) »

Sorry to be cutting in Tina, but did they give a reason for not having Clontarf filmed?  They have a Database printout  National Archives of Ireland 97/37/2  for there.

See     https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0504&parish=Artane,%20Clontarf,%20Coolock,%20Santry,%20Dublin%20city

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 October 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
Please do butt in Hallmark -- need you!

Tina I was looking at the baptisms on Roots Ireland. You can scroll through the Parish Registers where the baptism is recorded - but it is very laborious as it starts at the beginning of the register (or seems to) you can't jump pages -- and each record appears to spread across 2 pages but you can only see one page and have to scroll across the page. Hence I haven't done that! (Far too lazy)

Just taken the transcriptions for each child's baptism at face value.

However there is rather a large gap between the baptism of Bridget in 1836 and Patrick's baptism in 1847. Maybe I need to scroll through (oh joy!)

Margaret's first child in England was registered in the first quarter of 1849 -- I wnder if the whole family came over? I haven't checked.
Places of interest;

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 October 19 06:51 BST (UK) »
You’re not cutting in Hallmark.  I welcome any help I can get and appreciate the links you have already supplied.

On the National Library of Ireland site it says, “The NLI does not have any registers available for this parish”, but gives no reason why.  On the John Grenham site you directed me to, it says, “No Registers Microfilmed”.

Perhaps I’m being a bit "thick" here, but I cannot find a site which has filmed the Clontaft Registers.  Or perhaps I don’t know how to go about finding one.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 October 19 09:03 BST (UK) »
You’re not cutting in Hallmark.  I welcome any help I can get and appreciate the links you have already supplied.

On the National Library of Ireland site it says, “The NLI does not have any registers available for this parish”, but gives no reason why.  On the John Grenham site you directed me to, it says, “No Registers Microfilmed”.

...and also says
National Archives of Ireland  97/37/2 Database printout

m

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 October 19 10:43 BST (UK) »
Just to say I took the plunge and looked at the dreaded filmed records on Roots Ireland for Margaret McKenna's baptism in 1834 --- it is definitely listed in the 1834 year with parents Richard and Anne Legatt (or variant).

There are a couple of Margaret McKenna's baptised around the early 1820s in Dublin.

1821 Margaret McKenna - Blanchardstown - parents Nicholas and Mary
1825          "                 - Swords - parents Bryan and Anne

Still doesn't help I'm afraid in trying to tie the Birkenhead family together with certainty.
Places of interest;