Author Topic: What does this coat of arms look like?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline EmmaParker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does this coat of arms look like?
« on: Wednesday 16 October 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
In the Lincoln Visitations I have found a description of a coat of arms -- it matchs the description in family papers - but I don't know what it actually looks like.  My searches via the family name "Goodhand" don't produce a result that appears to go with the description.

The description is

Arms. — Quarterly, 1 and 4, Chequy Ardent and Gules on afess Azure three dexter hands
mailed of the first (Goodhand). 2 and 3, xWycnt a chevron Azure between
three lions rampant Gules (Harvye). On an escucheon of pretence, Barry
of six Ermine and Gules three crescents Sable an annulet Or for difference
(Waterton.)

Cbkst. — An armed arm embowed proper holding a sword Argent hilt and pomel Or.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Looking for relatives of John Cowham Parker (1773-1841), mayor of Hull & had 2 wives, Ann Goodhand & Elizabeth/Eliza Speedings.  And information of John Goodhand Parker, William Bilbie Parker, Henry Watson Parker, Marion Parker (nee Rorauer), Wilfred Watson Parker & Frances Charlotte Mary Purssell (& her parents Alfred Purssell & Ellen Ware, and grandparents Roger & Charlotte Purssell).

Also Maternal line - Hodgson, Bacon, Stapylton, Slingsby, Percy, Mortimer.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: What does this coat of arms look like?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Google "family crest Goodhand" . It's the red and white chequered one.

https://images.app.goo.gl/jMuEiF9czbotsXbc8

Martin

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 19:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry Martin, the arms that belong to that blazon are a bit more complicated than the ones which appear on your link  :)

The arms are quartered and in the top left and bottom right will appear the silver and red checked arms that appear on that link (but the fess - the band across the middle should be Azure = blue).

In the other quarters the arms are those of Harvye - Argent (silver) background, with an upside down V and 3 lions rampant - 2 above the V and one inside it (it's a bit hard to explain!) - the lions should be red.

In the middle of the shield is an escutcheon of pretence - a little shield which will be 6 horizontal bars alternate ermine and Gules (red) and on top of this three black crescents and a very small gold ring in the middle for difference indicating that the escutcheon belongs to a fifth son.

The crest is like the one on the Goodhand arms that Marin linked to.

The main arms represent the marriage of a Mr Thomas Goodhand to a Miss Jane Harvye who was an heraldic heiress and so the arms were quartered when their sons impaled them - one of their male line GG sons, William Goodhand has then married an heraldic heiress, Miss Anne Waterton, and William is bearing Anne's father's arms 'in pretence' - their sons will then 'quarter' them with the quarters already in the arms. Augustine Waterton of Messingham, Anne's father, is likely to be a fifth son, indicated by the annulet - but his pedigree doesn't appear in the Visitation.

I will try and find a picture of the arms in full ... or sketch one.

Liz

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EmmaParker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
Martin & Liz - thank you both.

I had been pondering over the one Martin found.  It didn't seem to match the full description, as I thought the arms described were quartered. 

Liz - it does sound far more complicated than I thought.  I'd been sent this site (about 30 min ago) on meaning of heraldic arms descriptions, but was struggling to picture what it must look like.

https://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/index.htm

Never appreciated before how complicated heraldry was.
Looking for relatives of John Cowham Parker (1773-1841), mayor of Hull & had 2 wives, Ann Goodhand & Elizabeth/Eliza Speedings.  And information of John Goodhand Parker, William Bilbie Parker, Henry Watson Parker, Marion Parker (nee Rorauer), Wilfred Watson Parker & Frances Charlotte Mary Purssell (& her parents Alfred Purssell & Ellen Ware, and grandparents Roger & Charlotte Purssell).

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
With apologies for the lions rampant that look more like scared squirrels - here is what the arms should look like - I have left off the crest as it is as in the link above.

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 19:56 BST (UK) »
 ;D
it does sound far more complicated than I thought.
That's why it is so fascinating!  Rewarding too when a coat of arms can help you solve a family history mystery.  ;D
Research interests:

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:06 BST (UK) »
Liz, you are right.  I didn't read all the question.

Martin

Offline EmmaParker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Liz thank you so much - it makes so much sense now.

Just been calculating back - I think the William Goodhand that married Miss Ann Waterton was my 10x great-grandfather.  I have been trying to write the tree and the arms make a great addition.

Offline EmmaParker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 20:29 BST (UK) »
That's why it is so fascinating!  Rewarding too when a coat of arms can help you solve a family history mystery.  ;D

Is there any way to find out if there was a family motto linked to this coat?