Author Topic: Cemetery possibility 1781 burial Canongate, Edinburgh  (Read 1351 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemetery possibility 1781 burial Canongate, Edinburgh
« on: Thursday 17 October 19 02:46 BST (UK) »
Just wondering what possible/probable cemeteries would a person be buried in for a 1781 death registered in Canongate? From what I have already seen, online, there are no MI's or records that early.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery possibility 1781 burial Canongate, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 October 19 10:45 BST (UK) »
Just wondering what possible/probable cemeteries would a person be buried in for a 1781 death registered in Canongate? From what I have already seen, online, there are no MI's or records that early.
I would have thought that someone who died in Canongate in 1781 would probably have been buried in Canongate Kirkyard.

Have you seen the original of the death record? If not, you can probably download it from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

As for MIs, the absence of any online does not mean that there are none. Just that no-one has, so far, recorded them and put them online. There are plenty of gravestones in Canongate Kirkyard including several earlier than 1781. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canongate_Kirkyard
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 October 19 00:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. That would make sense. I might download the DC from SP for details or email the Cemetery to see if they hold a list of burials.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 19 08:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. That would make sense. I might download the DC from SP for details or email  the Cemetery to see if they hold a list of burials
Bear in mind that in 1781 there was no such thing as a 'death certificate'. Statutory civil registration, including birth, marriage and death certificates, did not start until 1855.

Some churches did keep a record of burials. What you will find on SP is the information from the church's list of burials.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 19 16:12 BST (UK) »
I downloaded the death record and all it contains is the date, deceased's name, age 57, decay and "in the aria".  The last term I am not familiar with?

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 October 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
The term "in the aria":  does this actually mean "in the AREA" ?  I note other deaths/burials on the page with this same annotation. Misspelling of a word. ???

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 October 19 15:12 BST (UK) »
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock