Author Topic: Help with solving a family mystery in Llanfyllin  (Read 2212 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with solving a family mystery in Llanfyllin
« on: Thursday 17 October 19 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Would anyone know where I could find the names of Inn Keepers/Hotel Proprietors plus names of the Hotels/Inns which they owned in the 1940's in Llanfyllin Mongomeryshire Wales?

My mother-in-law, Marian, who has recently turned 80 remembers a delightful family holiday in Llanfyllin about 1948 where she, along with her parents and sister, visited her Uncle Edward and Aunty Mary Horrocks who were Inn Keepers at the Cambrian Inn. During the same trip they also went to stay with another Aunty and Uncle who were also Inn Keppers/Hotel Proprietors at the other end of the village.

Unfortunately, she can't remember their names nor the name of their Inn/Hotel. It could have been The Red Lion, White Lion or even The Goat. What is very clear though is that her Uncle was a 'terrific artist and one of his paintings which was hung in their loungeroom at the back of the pub was  of a large battle scene with a lot of horses and red uniforms and he was colour blind!'

Possible family names are HORROCKS, WALLWORK. TONGE and WILLIAMS to name a few. I would be grateful for any information at all which may be useful in our search.

Thankyou Margaret
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline chwiliwr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with solving a family mystery in Llanfyllin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 October 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the 1939 register? I know the date is nine years before your mother in law's visit but  the publicans might well be the same. Can't imagine there would be many people with the first three surnames in Llanfyllin at that time.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 October 19 11:43 BST (UK) »
Cambrian Inn :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 October 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Likely to be there in the near future so I'll ask around.
Jon
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 October 19 11:52 BST (UK) »
Edward Wallwork Horrocks
Birth: 6 Nov 1895
Baptism Date:   20 Nov 1895
Pendleton, St Thomas, Lancashire
Mother AGNES Horrocks
Father as Edward Wallwork on Bapt, crossed out, Mother a Widow, Charwoman

Edward died 1956 Reg in Shropshire.

His Mother married Edward Wallwork 1899 Lancashire.

Agnes mn appears to be Grimshaw

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 October 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry I misread the query it the Horrocks at the Cambrian Inn.
But you already had that.

Thomas Williams was at the Sun Hotel  Lansaintffraid in last Census available.

Trish :)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 October 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
Firstly,  thankyou chwiliwr and Trish,  for your help - also Jon, your kind offer is greatly appreciated.

In 1939 Edward Wallwork Horrocks along with his wife Mary nee Ancell were the Inn Keepers of the Cambrian Inn in Llanfyllin. Mary's mother, Mary Ann Ancell was also staying with them.
My mother in law now remembers that her uncle, who was the proprietor of the other hotel was Uncle Harry. Edward Wallwork Horrocks had a younger brother, Henry (Harry) Wallwork born 10 Apr 1903  Pendleton, Salford, Lancashire who married in 1931 in Salford Lancs - Hilda Brierley born 5 Jan 1906.

In 1939 Henry (Harry) Wallwork and wife Hilda were living at 24 Osborne Street Salford Lancs. His occupation was Master Painter. If this were indeed he  (who was the hotel owner in 1948), then he would have purchased the hotel in Llanfyllin from whoever owned it in 1939 possibly to live closer to his brother, Edward and family.

Unfortunately Trish, I can't link Thomas Williams to our Williams family, try as I may. To complicate things M.I.L also has another Uncle -  Harry Williams born abt. 1895 Ramsbottom Lancashire who married Edith Rostron born 1899  Charlestown, St George, Lancashire. They married in 1920 but I can't find them in 1939 census. I've put this one on the back burner however,  as he is a step uncle - but anything is possible!

Thanks for the suggestion chwiliwr, I've searched the 1939 census for all of those family members who were living at that time and I couldn't any, except Edward Wallwork Horrocks and family, living in Llanfyllin.

I thought that if I could find where records were kept of Landlords/Owners of Hotels/Inns  in  the mid to late 1940's Llanfyllin that I could hopefully find them.

Margaret
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 October 19 23:59 BST (UK) »
Sometimes there is a notice of transfer of liquor license in the newspaper

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 October 19 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mckha489 - good idea - now where to find the relevant newspapers. ???  I've had a long break from genealogy research and find myself requiring some help with finding resources. :-[

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx