Author Topic: Windows Shutdown problem.  (Read 1415 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Windows Shutdown problem.
« on: Friday 18 October 19 15:42 BST (UK) »

After the first big W10 Update a couple of months ago when I go Shutdown everything is gone in about 3 seconds.

When I Boot Up again everything is back within 5 seconds incl. Anti Virus etc etc... which isn't right!

If I go the other route   Sign Out   it takes about 6 to 10 seconds just to clear Desktop etc and about 5 seconds to close down W10.

Same when I Boot Up again.... as AntiVirus does its checks etc etc.

So if I go Shutdown everything gets instantly dumped somewhere,  grrrrr!

Any suggestions?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Shutdown problem.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 October 19 16:08 BST (UK) »
It sounds like something to do with Fast Start-up - after a quick google, I found some reports that Windows updates have been known to enable it when it was previously disabled.

I don't understand everything about it, other than that when it is enabled and you power off your computer, it doesn't actually switch off completely, but goes into something similar to hibernation. This is what makes it so much quicker, both to (apparently) close down and start up.

Some people have reported that it causes problems with their computer, and my main one (fairly new, with a modern processor and solid state drive) is so much faster than anything I've had before that I don't feel the need for it. However, with an older machine I really notice the difference.

These are a couple of articles I found about it, but there are plenty more. They also explain how to change the setting if you want to.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 October 19 17:01 BST (UK) »
There are different "shutdowns".

There's a "Sleep" mode, where things go into low power state. The machine is running, but saving power. Waking it up should show things exactly where they were on the desktop. If you pull the power while it is sleeping, everything is lost. The machine might not have written everything to disk properly. While it is Sleeping, there's usually a light slowly flashing to give you a hint.

If you select Hibernate, the system writes an image of everything to a file on disk and then the PC is switched off, using no power. When you wake it up, that file is used to put everything back on and running. I use this to swap laptop batteries when not on mains.

If the machine is in "Fast Startup", mode (the default), when you request shutdown, all applications are closed, then the system writes a compressed image of the running operating system to disk, then the machine is powered off. This image is read on startup to quickly give a running system. Note that those dozens of device drivers and chunks of Windows are already loaded and just need to be told to do a quick check of things - very quick.

If you disable Fast Startup, the system powers down in the old fashioned way, just like Windows 7.

Regardless of "Fast Startup", if you select "Restart", the system will do a reload of all the drivers from scratch. This is what Windows Update usually needs.

The state of the power settings is found under Start Menu, Windows System, Control Panel, Power Options.

Quite a few machine have problems with "Sleep", especially if hardware has been plugged in or unplugged in the meantime. I first noticed this in Windows XP, and things are just as bad now.

"Fast Startup" causes trouble with some machines, especially older ones. The device drivers need to sort things out after the machine re-awakens, and not all do that properly. A common symptom is the WiFi not being able to connect, when it was working fine before. On one machine I know the wifi connects properly, but the video doesn't work after re-awakening. Disabling Fast Startup makes them reliable again.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 October 19 17:21 BST (UK) »

Yes, I'm not Locking/Hybernating or Sleeping, just going the 2 routes to Shutdown.

Fast Shutdown is now Superfast.... but on Start Up again it is starting up very fast without the usual Boot Up checks.

The system should do a reload of all the drivers from scratch at Start Up but they are there instantly.

If I Sign Out, then go Shutdown everything Boots Up as it should.

If I just go Shutdown everything does not Boot Up as it should.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 19 17:40 BST (UK) »

As you see "Startup is not affected"

but for me   Startup is affected!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 October 19 18:09 BST (UK) »

Regardless of which way I shut down, Booting Up should be the same!

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 October 19 18:13 BST (UK) »
It sounds as though rather than doing a shutdown, the PC is doing Sleep.

After you "shutdown", is there a flashing light?

If you then pull the power (and remove the battery if you can), does it then do a proper full startup?

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 October 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
There's another way to force a proper shutdown.

As a command prompt (you might need to right-click it and use "run as administrator"), enter

shutdown /s

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 October 19 18:21 BST (UK) »
It sounds as though rather than doing a shutdown, the PC is doing Sleep.

After you "shutdown", is there a flashing light?

If you then pull the power (and remove the battery if you can), does it then do a proper full startup?

No flashing light!

I've had Batteries turned off for past two years!

If I disconnect Power Cable and come back several hours later, plug in Power and Bootup after just going Start>Shutdown everything is there instantly!

If I disconnect Power Cable and come back several hours later, plug in Power and Bootup after   going Start>Signout>Shutdown everything takes its time loading as it should. Drivers AV etc etc...

I have 2 different Start Ups depending on which Shutdown is chosen. 

Startup shouldn't be affected by what Shutdown is done!