Author Topic: identifying a coat of arms/crest  (Read 1388 times)

Offline LRSxCOBRA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
identifying a coat of arms/crest
« on: Friday 18 October 19 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi iv been trying to find out what the crest on the left is the one on the right looks like the  brandenburg coat of arms (well the closes i could find) but the second crest i could not find anywhere
and i was hoping some one might know a little about it or something that is close to it. thanks

i did not realise how big the image is sorry about that :)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: identifying a coat of arms/crest
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 October 19 11:26 BST (UK) »
Not my area of expertise, but the right hand shield, the red eagle on a white background, looks to be the Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire (old style). Of the two parts of the left hand shield the black lion on a gold background is most commonly seen as the arms of Flanders, although there are other users.
I can't identify the green shield with two gold stripes at present.  I wonder if these are the arms of a town or city somewhere in the Belgium / Netherlands / north-western Germany area ?

What is the item this display is on ? It might give a clue to the origin.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 October 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
I have had a great interest in heraldry since childhood, but I always think a spread Eagle looks like a spatchcock chicken.

Martin

Offline LRSxCOBRA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 October 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Not my area of expertise, but the right hand shield, the red eagle on a white background, looks to be the Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire (old style). Of the two parts of the left hand shield the black lion on a gold background is most commonly seen as the arms of Flanders, although there are other users.
I can't identify the green shield with two gold stripes at present.  I wonder if these are the arms of a town or city somewhere in the Belgium / Netherlands / north-western Germany area ?

What is the item this display is on ? It might give a clue to the origin.

Maec

It is a button from a uniform of some kind i would assume maybe military but i could be wrong. it has the year 1692 on it with a six in a circle at the bottom of the shields and above it has a crown.

thanks

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 October 19 22:32 BST (UK) »
I was going to make a comment, but realized I had the tinctures of the field and charge reversed. Sorry about that!