Author Topic: Joseph Gallagher b. 1887 emigrated?? 1924  (Read 404 times)

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Gallagher b. 1887 emigrated?? 1924
« on: Friday 18 October 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please tell me how I can start to search for a Joseph Gallagher who might have emigrated to the US?  There is a Joseph Gallagher on the crew list of the Delilian aged 38.  I am just wondering whether he never came back!  Finding him elsewhere might eliminate him from my enquiries!! ;D

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L97C-P8NR?i=824&cc=2072744&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A276C-NBG

For years  :'( I have been trying to find a Joseph Gallagher b. 5 March or May 1887 and despite a number of posts on Rootschat and lots of helpful suggestions, I still can't find him anywhere.  His father was James, a carpenter journeyman.

He was in Berkshire, England in 1918.  He got married then to Elizabeth Hannah Mabley.  (He was an air mechanic.)  But he left the family soon after.

According to his service record, he was 5' 3" tall - as was the Joseph Gallagher on the Delilian. 

I have been unable to find his death in the UK.  And the word on the street was that he went to the US or Canada.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher
Andover, Hurstbourne, Woodcutt, Shinfield: Farmer & Tanner
Alresford: Sprangle; Hack
Martletwy & Llangwig:  Davies

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gallagher b. 1887 emigrated?? 1924
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 October 19 23:08 BST (UK) »
familysearch.org has some records you might look at. It is a free site but you need to register and set up an account.

If Joseph was alive and in the US in 1942, he would have been required to register for the draft. The information asked for a specific birth date.
If he was naturalized, I am  almost positive that the information would have also wanted an exact birth date during the time frame you would be looking in.
A US death record as late as you would be looking for  also probably would have asked for his date of birth and his father's name. But the accuracy would depend on the informant, obviously, not Joseph himself.
A lot of US marriage records would want his father's full name and sometimes his mother's and her maiden name, along with his age, but not DOB.

Some of these records are at familysearch, some aren't. In the US it all depends on the state, availability varies from state to state.

I looked through the WWII draft registrations quickly and didn't see anything for a Joseph born the 6th of March or May. You might take a longer look.

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Gallagher b. 1887 emigrated?? 1924
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply.  I have been using both Family Search and Ancestry but not been able to find him.  It's a bit like a needle in a haystack because all the information I have is on his marriage certificate.  And I am not sure where he ended up after leaving the family.  He was in the services in WW1, but the pension records have been lost. 

All I can hope is that some new document comes to light that gives a clue.  Or that he married again and one of his descendents starts to search and finds my posts here!! ;)

Thanks again
Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher