Author Topic: Glasgow Hospital  (Read 996 times)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glasgow Hospital
« on: Friday 18 October 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to advise me if there is a register that you could search for a Death at the Glasgow Hospital in the 1840-1850's? Many thanks.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 October 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
If you know the name and district of the hospital in Glasgow that you are referring to, you could search for parish burials on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, you may be lucky. However not all areas have such records until statutory registration began in Scotland in 1855.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 19 18:39 BST (UK) »
There has never been (to my knowledge) a single "Glasgow" Hospital.

In the time period you refer to there were several private hospitals and hospital wings attached to the poorhouse establishment set up in each parish (or combination Parishes)
In addition to this there are several areas which are commonly referred to as Glasgow but which did not come under the City's wing until the eary 20th Century - Govan is a prime example of this.

If your relative ended up in one of the medical establishments attached to the Poorhouses there may be a record of a Poor Law application and those still in existance are held at the City Archives in the Mitchell Library (they are not online and although the Mitchell do accept email enquiries I believe they have quite a backlog). If it was one of the Private institutions some of these records are held at Caledonia University, Some at Glasgow University and a few at the National Health Service Archives within the Mitchell Library.

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your informative replies. I understand that the area that the family’s employer resided in was Blackhall Farm, Paisley, although I can only find the family in Newbattle and Bathgate. I will keep trying to find a more accurate date of events (although I can find no likely records on Scotlands People) and hopefully progress from there.

Family lore has Adam Halliday being kicked by a horse and dying, his wife Margaret Stephenson dying shortly after the birth of their daughter Agnes, both within a short timeframe.

Again my thanks for your knowledge shared.

Regards, June

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 October 19 21:51 BST (UK) »
Ift it occurred in Paisley it is more likely that he went to a Paisley Hospital, at that time frame it may have been the Infirmary which stood at the bottom of what is now Mill Street and which later became the Infectious Diseases Hospital. Long gone now.

This is only a short distance from the area of Blackhall in Paisley.

The Paisley Heritage centre may have more information https://paisley.is/visit/heritage-centre/  or the National Health Service Archivist for renfrewshire (who is based in Glasgow)

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/locations/9ec26c2d-96e4-3fcb-b8b5-3bee08ae6ec1