Author Topic: William ALDOUS of Bedfield Hall  (Read 991 times)

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William ALDOUS of Bedfield Hall
« on: Saturday 19 October 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
I have some family history notes which tell me that William married Mary Ann Gooderham in Charsfield on May 30th 1819. As she came from Laxfield, I suspect that the marriage might have taken place at Cratfield. I also think that her maiden name was PIPE and she had already been married once. If anyone has the records to hand, I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on this - perhaps on the original register entry for the marriage it describes her as a widow?

Unfortunately I'm not able to visit the SRO any time soon. Many thanks in advance.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM ALDOUS OF BEDFIELD HALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 October 19 19:05 BST (UK) »
Both the Suffolk FHS and familysearch have the marriage taking place at Charsfield. Unfortunately neither entry gives the marital status of the bride or groom. As you have the exact date and place it might be worth asking the Record Office if they can do a quick look up for you. I have asked other ROs in the past and they seem happy to do it if they have the precise details and don't have to search through page after page.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William ALDOUS of Bedfield Hall
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 October 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
An announcement in the newspaper has her as Miss but that may not be correct.

The Ipswich Journal
12 Jun 1819
Sunday se'nnight was married, at Charsfield, Mr William Aldous, of Monk Soham, to Miss Gooderham, of the former place.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Worlygigger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 October 19 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you - that's very informative. Never thought of the newspapers.

Offline Rezillo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 21 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to add to an old thread!

There is also a Mary Goodram, baptised at Wickham Market (next to Charsfield) on 18 November 1792. Mother late Boar.

A Robert Goodram and Mary Boor married at Leiston on 21 December 1785, so a move via Laxfield is possible.

Mary had a sister, Martha Gooderham, baptised at Hacheston, mother late Bore, in 1789.