Author Topic: Harry RUNDLE, British Army Soldier, born 1874, Luton, Bedfordshire UK  (Read 15605 times)

Offline Nodrog50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry RUNDLE, British Army Soldier, born 1874, Luton, Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
I hope to get there some time, jim1, when things start getting back to normal. I forgot to mention that the 67 year old Miss Alice Hale, widow, leaving Liverpool bound for Halifax on 12th. June 1920 wasn’t relevant; she was from North Shields!

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 17:34 BST (UK) »
Alice never left B'ham, lived in the North part of the city while Harry lived in the South.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Nodrog50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 19:47 BST (UK) »
Having accessed Birmingham Archives, I can confirm that Minnie, Ethel & Stanley were accepted by the Middlemore Home on 27th. Aug. 1924. Minnie & Ethel went to Canada, but Stanley was returned to his father, probably because the British Govt. in 1925 apparently decided to restrict this migration to those aged 14 & over and the Homes in B’ham were not set up for the long-term care of children.
Joseph was accepted into the Home on 18th. Jan. 1930 and was subsequently sent to Australia. Stanley was re-admitted on 15th. Sept. 1930, but was again returned to his father on the grounds that he had a heart condition and was unsuitable for emigration.

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Thursday 07 October 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi to all, how is everyone coping with this dreadful pandemic? Getting my 2nd vaccination next weekend, hope you have all had yours. Wearing masks seems second nature almost, however, it's the added anxiety surrounding the whole virus situation I can't seem to cope with very well. Whenever "normal living" is going to be upon us again, I suppose that's all we can hope and pray for, for now.

I will slowly be rejoining this complicated thread of family history from this point onwards (hopefully!) My apologies for not appearing all that often since last year.

My repeated attempts at trying to get that special family history paperwork sent to me seemed to have been to no avail, so we will all just try to fill in the gaps as best as possible. Until I come up with another way to get all that extra information of course!

Regards, & I hope you are all not stressing out too much about the virus!  :)
Rundle/Rumble, Inchley, Hales

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Thursday 07 October 21 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Nodrog50,

In regards to you accessing the Birmingham Archives, you mention that Joseph Rundle was not admitted into the Middlemore Home until 1930, almost 9 years after he was born. Was he living with his father Harry the whole time, up until 1930, after his mother Minnie died? I was under the impression that Joseph was put into the home not long after his mother died in 1923, along with his older siblings. So this bit of information is quite interesting. Are there any other details from the Archives that were available?

As I've been away from this thread for quite some time, I'll have to refresh my memory with everything again.

Regards  :)

Offline Nodrog50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Thursday 07 October 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again, Piglet 392006.
I’ve attached the relevant admissions which should make things clearer.
The aim of the Homes was to prepare children for migration; they wouldn’t have taken in an infant.
Committee minutes add re. Joseph, ‘Boy left in care of neighbours’.

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Friday 08 October 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Interesting to notice he says he was co-habiting with Minnie for 14 years.
As she died in 1923 means he was "seeing" her from 1909 while still living with Alice.
All of the children born after that would be his irrespective of the surnames.
A bit rich him saying that it was Alice that had misconducted herself when
really it was him.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Friday 08 October 21 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Nodrog50,

Thank you for posting those admission papers from Middlemore Homes, they're very interesting indeed.

"Father & mother cohabited together for 14 years" - which means Minnie Hales and Harry Rundle really did meet each other earlier than I expected, around 1910. This is in line with what jim1 believes as well. This also adds further to the possibility that Minnie Edith Hales b.1912 and Ethel Mary Hales b.1913 were Harry Rundle's children, not the children of the ever-elusive Harry Hales.

"Father a married man but wife misconducted herself" - I wonder what this could mean! How did Alice do wrong by him? Is there any knowledge that Harry Rundle was a religious man?

"Boy left in care of neighbours" -  I despair for my grandfather's life sometimes. He didn't really get to have much of a normal family life at all.

I'm getting the impression from these admission papers that after Minnie Hales died in 1923, Harry Rundle was perhaps trying his best to look after both Stanley and Joseph, made all the more difficult by being in and out of employment. Perhaps the neighbours stepping in to assist when and where they could, as Harry might not have been in good favour with his own family nor Minnie's to be able to ask for their help.

And also during this time period, Harry Rundle tries to re-establish his relationship with Alice, or at least tries to do the same with his and Alice's children, namely Edith.

I'm also getting the unfortunate impression that Harry Rundle blamed Alice for whatever wrongdoing she supposedly committed during their marriage, that caused him to end up in a relationship with Minnie Hales in the first place.

Regards  :)

Offline Nodrog50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Friday 08 October 21 14:11 BST (UK) »
Of course, we have to add to the mix the fact that Harry Rundle & the truth were strange bedfellows. Note the information given on the consent form, then this from the Middlemore HQ:-”Mr. Rundle promised to pay 5/- a week towards the cost of their maintenance, as he was earning good money in regular work. He paid little, and told Mr. Jackson, and later myself that he was unemployed. I discovered he had never ceased to work, and when I taxed him on the subject he denied all liability, saying Minnie and Ethel were not his children, but the children of Mrs. Hales, with whom he was cohabiting. I am of the opinion that the man is not straight forward.”