Author Topic: Harry RUNDLE, British Army Soldier, born 1874, Luton, Bedfordshire UK  (Read 22474 times)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HARRY RUNDLE, BRITISH ARMY SOLDIER, BORN 1874, LUTON, BEDFORDSHIRE, UK
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 October 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
The Harry Rundle, Blacksmith who married Beatrice Mallett and the Harry Rundle who married Alice Butler are definitely two different people. Their Army Records are on FindMyPast. Harry the Blacksmith, who gives Beatrice as his wife and next of kin was born Penryn and served in the Labour Company whilst the Harry born Luton gives his father Joseph in Birmingham as next of kin and he served in the Royal Artilley.

Beatrice Rundle died in Penryn in 1956. In 1939 she is a widow
Harry Rundle is in Birmingham in 1939 and is also widowed.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 October 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
Working back from your grandfather Joseph John Rundle born on 17th June 1921 in Birmingham.
Births Sep 1921   
Rundle    Joseph J    mmn Inchley   
King's N.    6d   215

Births Sep 1921   
Hales    Joseph J    mmn Inchley   
King's N.    6d   215I

I can only see this child with surname Rundle mmn Inchley

There are 3 other Hales births with mmn Inchley after 1911
Minnie 1912, Ethel 1914 and Stanley M.R 1917

Harry Rundle took up with a Minnie Eva Inchley, after her husband, Harry Hales, also a British soldier, died around 1914. At this time, I've no information as to what happened to his relationships with his 2 previous wives, Beatrice Mallett or Alice Butler, i.e., did either of these women die young, did they get divorced, etc. I've no information on whether there was an actual marriage between Harry Rundle & Minnie. Minnie's first marriage/relationship to Harry Hales in 1904 in Birmingham, UK, produced 7 children, whose names are Ethel, Elsie, Frederick, Harry, Joseph, Minnie and Stanley. Ethel was born in 1913 in Birmingham, UK & died in Nova Scotia, Canada, in 2003, but I don't have birth/marriage/death details for her siblings, other than that the majority of her siblings died before she did, except for her sister Minnie. When Harry Rundle met Minnie Inchley, I believe they had 2 or 3 children together, one of which, the youngest, was my grandfather, Joseph John Rundle. He was born on 17th June 1921 in Birmingham, UK, & died in Australia in 1984. He served in the Australian Army, service number WX19919. I believe my grandfather's half-sister Ethel managed to keep in contact with his children in Australia via letter.

When Minnie Eva Inchley died in 1923, Harry Rundle placed all the children in an orphanage in Birmingham, UK. He then emigrated in 1923 to Canada aboard the ship 'SS Regina' from Liverpool to Quebec. It's interesting to note that on the passenger lists for this trip, Harry Rundle's last known address was listed in Penryn, Cornwall, where he'd previously been living many years before with his first wife, Beatrice Mallett. After that, I can't find any information on Harry Rundle, i.e., did he re-marry in Canada, what he did for the rest of his life, did he ever return to the UK, when/where he died, etc.

In 1934, my grandfather, Joseph John Rundle, was sent from England (Birmingham) to Australia (Fairbridge Farm Pinjarra, Western Australia) on the ship 'Jervis Bay' as part of the child migration scheme. He was only 12 years old.

Many thanks!!  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 October 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen them, FindMyPast has 3 lots of army service records for this soldier
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 October 19 10:49 BST (UK) »
Deleted

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 October 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm, the Harry Rundle who went to Canada in 1923 was born in Penryn circa 1874.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 October 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
There is also this for a Harry Rundle occ Blacksmith (Ancestry have transcribed it as Randle)
Age   39
Sailed from South Africa
Arrival Date 17 Mar 1915
Port of Arrival Plymouth

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 October 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
That fits with the Harry Rundle from Penryn enlisting 27 July 1915, and possibly explains why he is not on the 1911 Census

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 October 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who have replied.

In case you haven't seen them, FindMyPast has 3 lots of army service records for this soldier

And....this is why I'm finding it very confusing! ShaunJ, any other information would be most helpful. Is it possible that Harry Rundle really was married twice, & just didn't want to be found out?? Was it possible for him to tell alot of lies about his relationships & his whereabouts to all the women in his life??

In 1911 Harry is with Alice in Birmingham and using the name Rumble. They have 5 children. There  was another one who died. Beatrice Rundle is in Falmouth with her 6 children, all born Falmouth. She states that she is married but has no husband with her. The six children are
William Frederick 1894
Beatrice Mary 1895
Lily Edith 1897
Ida Maud 1899
Jane Ann 1902
Gwendoline 1904
All registered with mmn Mallett

Emeltom

I had no information on Beatrice Mallett's 4 older children at all, only the 2 youngest ones. I've never heard or seen of the name "Rumble" before, it certainly hasn't been discussed in family circles as far as I'm aware. I've no idea what the legalities of registering children with the mother's maiden name were back in the early 1900's, but was it possible for Beatrice Mallett to change the registration of her children's names if she didn't know where her husband was? Or if she'd divorced Harry Rundle because of his affair with Alice Butler, & therefore wanted her children's names changed back to her maiden name?

The other reason I am finding this confusing, is that I've come across several letters written by Alice Rundle (nee Butler) to Harry Rundle's employer, the British Army, asking them do they know where he is. Alice also states in one of her letters that she's aware of another woman in Harry's life, & that there are children from this relationship as well. Alice states her opinion on Harry quite assertively in these letters, almost distancing herself from knowing him altogether, as she doesn't agree with his behaviour. This "other woman" could be Minnie Eva Inchley.

Thanks for all your assistance, much appreciated  :)
Rundle/Rumble, Inchley, Hales

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 October 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
The Absent voter' list (1918) has Harry Rundle at 3/12 Bacchus Rd. B'ham.
Sgt. in a Siege Battery RFA.
Alice Maud is there in 1920 & Leslie in 1931.
1922-27 Harry is there as a Pte. 2/S.Wales Borderers.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/