Author Topic: Harry RUNDLE, British Army Soldier, born 1874, Luton, Bedfordshire UK  (Read 22870 times)

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harry RUNDLE, British Army Soldier, born 1874, Luton, Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #180 on: Saturday 06 November 21 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I've just added myself to "Family Links" under the "Database For Special Interest Groups (DSFIG) - British Home Children" in the RootsChat Reference Library. This is for my great-aunt, Ethel M Hales, ID # 8475.

Regards  :)
Rundle/Rumble, Inchley, Hales

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Saturday 06 November 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, just posting information about Ethel Mary Hales from www.findagrave.com. It also shows a photo of her gravesite-

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/211686929/ethel-mary-spinney

It's worth noting that the memorial information states that "she was a daughter of the late Harry and Minnie (Inchley) Hales." (not Harry Rundle), and that her sister Minnie (who emigrated to Canada the year before Ethel, in 1926) was still alive.

Below are links to the "British Home Child Information Sheets" from the Home Children Canada/British Home Children Registry for both Ethel Hales and Minnie Hales:-

http://www.britishhomechildrenregistry.com/Person/bhcInfo/19689

http://www.britishhomechildrenregistry.com/Person/bhcInfo/66883

There seems to be a discrepancy in the marital surname of Minnie, i.e., on the BHC Sheet, she is married to a Mr Sherman in 1934, however, in the memorial notes from www.findagrave.com, she has the married surname "Lynk". Maybe she had been married twice.

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Saturday 06 November 21 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I've started a new thread regarding MAURICE HENRY HALES (Harry Hales) without referencing the relationship to Harry Rundle at this stage. Too complicated for all of that! Hopefully some descendants of Harry Hales, especially those of Harry Jr., Frederick and Elsie, will perhaps come across this new thread if they're researching family history and may be able to shed some light on what happened during the period 1909/1910 - 1914/1915.

Offline Nodrog50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Saturday 06 November 21 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those posts. I wouldn’t have expected Ethel’s parentage to be given as anything else. However, I think only DNA  will eventually prove for certain who Minnie & Ethel’s father actually was. In this respect, your looking for descendants of the Hales family looks like a good idea. Regarding the other info, I recommend the Marshall Family Tree (nmarshall12) on Ancestry; a few assumptions, but generally accurate & well-researched. Re. something you mentioned on an earlier post, I can’t see any inkling of Harry Rundle being religious. He was very much a military man, having joined up as early as 1893. His older brother was also in the military as were all his sons. I think Harry found it difficult to settle into civilian life.

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Sunday 07 November 21 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nodrog50, I don't know why I didn't think of starting a new thread on Harry Hales earlier to be honest. Just too busy concentrating on other aspects and finding out about the shenanigans of Harry Rundle in the process.

If any grandchildren or great-grandchildren of Harry Jr., Frederick and Elsie come forward with further information, that would be our best hope (Harry Jr. and Alice's son William would be in his 90's if he was still alive, god bless him!!). If jim1 is on the right track with regards to the timeline of Minnie and Harry Rundle's relationship, these 3, the eldest of Minnie's children, were around 7 years old, 4 years old and 12 months old respectively when Minnie and Harry Rundle met. And Harry's wife Alice gave birth to Nellie in 1910 as well.

I started this family history research two years ago, and yourself and a couple of other extended family have come forward which is amazing, so there's hope yet for others to do the same thing.

Is there anything interesting regarding the Marshall Family Tree?

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Sunday 07 November 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, just doing some more hunting around and came across this on the National Archives of Australia website. It's a "List Of Migrants To Western Australia" on the 17th January 1934. The 11th child under the list headed "BOYS" is my grandfather, Joseph John Rundle. It's pretty heartbreaking there's a child as young as 6 on that list as well.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=446152

Offline Nodrog50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Monday 08 November 21 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Removed wife is a great-niece of Minnie Eva Inchley. I reckon he’s purchased birth certs of Minnie Eva’s children; there’s details there I haven’t seen before. However, if Harry Hales is indeed given on birth certs as Minnie & Ethel’s father I don’t think that should be assumed as true. Removed has Minnie Edith having a daughter, remarrying, and living to 103 years of age!

Moderator comment: the names of living people have been removed. If they are members here, please use their forum names. Users have the right of anonymity on this site

Offline PIGLET392006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nodrog50, does the family tree information indicate that Removed are from the Canada Hales/Inchley side or England, or are you not sure? It's possible Minnie Edith married twice. Her British Home Child Information Sheet has a "Sherman" as her spouse, and elsewhere it's recorded she married a "Lynk". If it's true she lived until 103, that means she only died fairly recently, i.e., around 2015.

I recall someone in the family saying quite some time ago that out of the two girls that ended up in Canada, Ethel was the only one who wanted to stay in touch with my mother and her siblings. Minnie, for whatever reason, chose not to.

Offline Nodrog50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Removed is in the UK, Piglet 392006. He has Minnie as remarrying in 1952. The Find a Grave website has her spouse as Earle Conners Lynk. Re. the girls in Canada trying to contact their family, I don’t know whether you’ve seen this cutting from the Birmingham Evening Mail.