Author Topic: Hannah Walker nee Richardson born Ellerkey - but where?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hannah Walker nee Richardson born Ellerkey - but where?
« on: Monday 21 October 19 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

Looking for Hannah Richardson's Yorkshire Birth/Baptism at Ellerkey, Yorkshire (aged 69 years, in the Knedlington, Yorkshire, 1851 Census extract), please? I can only find places called Ellerker; Ellerby and Ellerton, but no Richardson, nor Ellerkey? Also, wondering if Ellerkey Manor (attached) is a misprint?

Amongst my Watchmaker Richardson graves at Howden Minster, Yorkshire is:-
Sacred to the memory of JOHN WALKER formerly of Mearclough House, Nr. Halifax who died at Howden July 23rd 1862 aged 54 years.

If I have found the correct Baptism of John Walker at Wath upon Dearne in 1806, it would appear that John Walker was baptised to parents Joseph Walker of Brampton and Hannah Richardson.

I have found the 1851 Census (extract attached), from the following 1853 Halifax newspaper Deaths notice:-
Nov. 14, at Howden, aged 72 years, Hannah, relict of the late Joseph Walker, Esq., of Mear-clough House, near this place.

My Watchmaker Richardsons on my line (linked to John Richardson, Clockmaker, aged 54 years, buried 1805 Bubwith by his Will Proved 1805, Widow was Sarah) have both died before the 1851 Census:-
William Richardson at Selby in 1840 aged 56 years (the Selby Shop held in Trust until Wm's Son John came of age to take over)
and
John Richardson at Howden aged 74 years in 1850 and unfortunately don't appear in the Bubwith Parish Register.

So very interested in finding the Birth / Baptism of Hannah Richardson, aged 69 (in 1851 Census) born Yorkshire Ellerkey / Ellerkery, as she is very likely related family to me.

Thanks Mark

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Walker nee Richardson born Ellerkey - but where?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 19 23:23 BST (UK) »
I have heard of Ellerker Manor and wonder if it could be the same place renamed.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 19 23:38 BST (UK) »
I have heard of Ellerker Manor and wonder if it could be the same place renamed.
Carol

Thanks Carol, when looking at the 1851 Census extract it does also look like Yorkshire Ellerkery, which could be Ellerker with a fancy end stroke, but I couldn't find any Baptism / Birth record on F M P or Anc* , nor at Brantingham (the Parish for Ellerker apparently), nor Ellerby?

I'm hoping for any local knowledge please and can anyone have a look please?

Thanks Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 19 23:59 BST (UK) »
My Sarah Hood of Selby (nee Sarah Richardson before 16th August 1846), was the Daughter of William Richardson, Watchmaker (died Selby 1840) formerly of Bubwith when he married Mary Blenkin 1816.

I would be very interested in finding the Birth / Baptism of Hannah Richardson, aged 69 (in 1851 Census at Knedlington) born Yorkshire Ellerkey / Ellerkery, as she is very likely related family to me.

Although my Richardsons seemed to have left Bubwith for Howden and Selby, later Malton and Goole too, the following might only be a time limit on a Land Agreement, but Two of the Bubwith Richardsons later held lands at Bubwith for their Lives and also for the Life of Princess Louise (born 1848), Daughter of Queen Victoria. I suppose when all Three died, the land held by the Richardsons passed back to its owners.

Added
I've trawled the Bubwith Register pages again and found a Hannah Richardson, baptised Bubwith 6th June 1780 (possibly Hannah in my original question *) to John and Sarah Richardson of Bubwith, although the BT copy says John was a Wheelwright. Although I do wonder if John Richardson was training as a Clockmaker somewhere else, because neither of his Sons John born about 1776 and William Richardson (my line) born about 1784 (who both became Watch Makers) were registered at Bubwith.

Perhaps there was a Farm called Ellerkey in the vicinity of Bubwith / Breighton area, where Hannah Walker (nee Richardson) was born about 1781 per newspaper death age? There is certainly another Richardson couple (different forenames) having children baptised in the Bubwith Register.

Other children baptised to a John & Sarah Richardson of Bubwith are:- Hannah 1780; Elizabeth 1787 (who later married Thomas Tutill, Miller and in the 1851 Census born Bubwith, Yorkshire); Mary 1791 who died at 2 weeks old and Sarah baptised 1792 (nothing known about Daughter Sarah).

I made reference to the 1805 Will of John Richardson of Bubwith, Clockmaker and forgot to mention his Widow at death was Sarah. His Sons as previously mentioned were John & William Richardson (no Baptisms at Bubwith) and he was leaving them two sets of Tools and a Shop was also mentioned, to carry on business as Clockmaker.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 12:21 BST (UK) »
* (struck out above) - According to the Licence transcription age of about 1780, Hannah Richardson baptised 1780 at Bubwith likely married Benjamin Dudding, 11th August 1801 and witnessed by Eliz'th Hunter; John Richardson; Geo Ion (church); Roger Steele and George Maskell.

So Hannah Walker, Widow, (if she was nee Hannah Richardson and it does seem she was) in my original question and buried with my Clock and Watch Maker family at Howden, aged 72 in 1853 and born Ellerkey, Yorkshire, England (aged 69 years 1851 Census), is still on my Wanted list?

Interesting, a Benjamin Dudding appears in the Manor of Bubwith Sale description of 1839.

-----------

Because an 1833 Transfer document for the Manor of Gunby, Yorkshire (near Bubwith), from Joseph Richardson (Catalogue description), was to Wm Procter of Selby.

https://www.eastriding.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=zDDGU%2F1%2F43

My George Hood of Selby, Yorkshire (died 1845) was the late Father in Law of Sarah Richardson who married John Hood of Selby, Tanner, in 1846 away at Sculcoates (No Fathers given, despite their Fathers being known) and my George Hood of Selby had an ownership share with Wm Proctor of Selby, regarding one of Hood's Selby Malt-kilns.

My late Grandmother Hood made some odd ancestral reference about keeping it in the family and I just wonder if my 3 X Great Grandmother, nee Sarah Richardson who married John Hood of Selby, Tanner, was linked in some way to my 4 X Gt Grandfather George Hood of Selby, County of Yorkshire, England.

-----------

Adjacent to my Richardson graves at Howden Minster, Yorkshire, is Ann (the Wife of Thomas Carter, Gentleman of Howden, Brewer), Ann Carter who died 1850 at Howden, was nee Lady Ann Sykes at marriage 1837, Ann was the Daughter of Richard Sykes a Farmer of Cowick, Snaith, [Snaith was another place mentioned by late Grandmother].

Thomas Carter's Father John Carter, also a Brewer, married Elizabeth Sykes of Cowick in 1798.

Interesting my George Hood's 1815 marriage Bondsman at Selby was Chester Newby, because later Chester Newby appointed Reuben Sykes of Pollington Grange as his Executor.

In 1839 Reuben Sykes had married Mary Newby of and at Snaith and possibly all are related or linked somehow.

-----------

Which brings me back to William Hood, a mystery 1802 Wedding witness at a George Newby & Elizabeth Swann of Baln, Snaith, Marriage, at Snaith, Yorkshire.

-----------

Bubwith Headstone Research
There is a lot more research to do on the other Richardson graves at Bubwith, but initially from the surnames associated with another Richardson burial at Bubwith, being Mrs Barrett Richardson amongst the Hepton graves, I'm initially wondering (to myself) that my 3 X Gt Grandmother, Sarah Hood (nee Sarah Richardson or Bubwith Richardsons) might possibly have had some link to William Hood Hepton or William Hood born Leven, Yorkshire about 1771, but need to see if the other numerous adjacent Bubwith headstones of the Heptons, can link or not to the Hepton family of Leven and Catwick, Yorkshire.

Added
1781 Richard Richardson of Birkin married Barrett Hepton, but cannot see a link yet to Leven.

However, Birkin is not too far away from Kellington and there might be some link to the Chester Newby (baptised Whitley Kellington 1790) family for me to look at.

Chester Newby line had previously married a Barrett
8th July 1760 Marriage at Kellington with Whitley of:- 
John Newby & Eliz Barratt by Banns, signed Elizabeth Barrat

Mark