Author Topic: Jones family of Bishops Stortford  (Read 780 times)

Offline Sue222

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones family of Bishops Stortford
« on: Tuesday 22 October 19 11:38 BST (UK) »
Is anyone here researching the Jones family of Bishops Stortford?

When my ggg grandparents Sarah Jones and William Death (pronounced Deeth) spinster and bachelor both of Bishops Stortford married in St Mary, Whitechapel, in 1792 the witnesses were William Woodham and George Starkins, who had married Sarah Jones and Mary Jones in 1770 and 1790 respectively.

My guess would be that Sarah Death and Mary Starkins were sisters and Sarah Woodham an aunt or possibly cousin. But I haven't been able to positively identify them before their marriages.

Anyone know anything about them?

I have some details about the descendants of William Woodham of Bishops Stortford born 1750 if anyone is interested in them.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones family of Bishops Stortford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 October 19 08:44 BST (UK) »
Go to 'Surname Interests' under 'Your Tools' below, to see if anyone else is researching your family.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 October 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
There is a SARAH Jones Bapt 03 Apr 1767 St Michael, Bishop's Stortford
Parents THOMAS/HANNAH

And Burials same Church;
06 Feb 1803 THOMAS Jones age 73 (1730)

Those are the only 2 entries I can find on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sue222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 October 19 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks chempat - no-one at the moment but you never know when someone will come along.

And thanks Trish. Hannah and Thomas only appear to have baptised 3 children - Sarah, Anne and John (or at least those are the only three who have found their way online) and no Mary.

Meanwhile, there were John and Elizabeth Jones baptising a large number of children in Bishops Stortford including a Mary, but no Sarah.

I have also found a reference to Sarah Jones, later Woodham, and Mary Jones witnessing two Flack family marriages in Thorley, which is just outside Bishops Stortford. The first marriage (John Jones to Mary Flack) is in 1763 so the Mary would be of an older generation. The second marriage (Elizabeth Flack to William Hawkes) is in 1783 and by then Sarah Jones was Sarah Woodham.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 October 19 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is this couple at Little Hadham
Benjamin and Mary
Sarah 19 Sep 1775
Mary  16 May 1772.

Ann 16.3.1785
Rebecca Straits Jones  27.9.1780
Elizabeth 9.9.1778

Benjamin married Mary Guyver at Bishops Stortford 4.11.1771.Banns called in her parish as well at Sawbridgeworth but i can't see the details of the marriage.
He may have been buried LH 12.8.1781. but there is also Benjamin Jones the late churchwarden buried 4 Feb 1808.

I'm guessing but Benjamin may have been the son of Benjamin and Sarah Jones nee Scott married 5.4.1743 at Bps Stortford.

Ciderdrinker