Author Topic: 74foot in colchester 1870’s  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Myrtle boat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
74foot in colchester 1870’s
« on: Tuesday 22 October 19 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find out about my ggrandfather. My Paternal grandmother was Susan Ann Farrelly born 20.12.1874. And registered early 1875. I have a copy of her birth certificate obtained from uk Gro. The birth certificate states his reg as 11th foot and his rank as lance corporal I think . The pension records from 1880 give a Peter Farrelly (his name) and the rank of sargeant, which is the name and rank given on my grandparents marriage certificate. Basically my question is where can I find out about his military service , where he enlisted etc. also there is some confusion about my  ggrandmother whose surname is either Gibson or Gibbons and I hope the military record would help me sort it out. His number according to ancestry is 16Bde/70. Any help appreciated
Belfast , Liddy,
Co. Derry/ Londonderry, Lennox
Co Leitrim, Stuart
Co. Longford, Navan and Jones.,
Co. Cavan, Anderson
Colchester and Cavan Farrelly,
Fitzsimons,

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 74foot in colchester 1870’s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 00:06 BST (UK) »
This link should take you to a copy of their marriage certificate Farrelly/Gibson.  Last one on the page.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11229/8116880.pdf
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Myrtle boat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 05:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that civil record of the marriage. Need to check the grandmothers birth certificate again.  Looks like she was a honeymoon baby. They married in Cavan and went to Colchester before the child’s birth. Still looking for info on the military record.
Belfast , Liddy,
Co Leitrim, Stuart
Co. Cavan, Anderson
Fitzsimons,

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 06:22 BST (UK) »
I'm not clear on which Regiment he served in.
You've headed your enquiry 74th Foot but only mention the 11th in your text.
The 74th were a Highland regiment which in the 1881 Cardwell reforms were amalgamated with another to become the Highland Light Infantry. The 11th were the North Devonshire Regiment which, after another 1881 amalgamation, became the Devonshire Regiment.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 10:38 BST (UK) »
His army file is on FindMyPast as Peter Farley. It has the marriage to Susan Gibson so it is definitely him:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F1953%2F026%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F1953%2F409040
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
He served with 10th Foot (3rd Battalion) from 1858 to 1876 (regimental number 496), then with 59th Brigade until 1880 (number 657) where he was with 74th Regiment. After discharge from the regular army in 1880 he attested for the militia in Monaghan and served for 2 years with 5th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. Born Kilmore, Co Cavan circa 1841. Roman Catholic.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Myrtle boat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 October 19 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much to all of especially the link to find my past, which I will check after my holidays.  ;)
Belfast , Liddy,
Co Leitrim, Stuart
Co. Cavan, Anderson
Fitzsimons,

Offline koh506

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 20 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Myrtle, I believe we might be related. My gtgt grandfather Thomas Farrelly was Susan's younger brother, born in Hong Kong. Peter died in Anderson St, Belfast, 1889.

I have more information including his pension records - think he served in South Africa as well as Hong Kong. Let me know if you get this and I'll send you a PM.

Best!

Offline koh506

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 20 09:30 BST (UK) »
He served with 10th Foot (3rd Battalion) from 1858 to 1876 (regimental number 496), then with 59th Brigade until 1880 (number 657) where he was with 74th Regiment. After discharge from the regular army in 1880 he attested for the militia in Monaghan and served for 2 years with 5th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers. Born Kilmore, Co Cavan circa 1841. Roman Catholic.

While I'm here... Thanks for this Shaun! I have other birth certificates, e.g. Bridgid b. 1875  which states that PF was a sergeant in the Cavan militia - is that short hand for the 10th foot?

I also do have Margaret b. 1882 Monaghan barracks, which corroborates your Monaghan militia period from 1880. I don't have anything on the RIF - where is that to be found?

Do you know if it would be common to bring a wife on tour? I have Thomas b. cert and Susan (no maiden name given) is listed as his mother, father Peter Farrelly lance Sgt in 74th foot in Hong Kong. The remaining children were born in Monaghan (Bridgid) and Belfast (Rose, Patrick Healy, Peter, and Joseph William), all to Peter Farrelly and Susan (Gibson).

Peter and Susan died in Anderson St (1888, 1889) which is where Thomas and my family originally hail from in Belfast.

All best

Karl