Author Topic: Quarterings of wife?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Quarterings of wife?
« on: Wednesday 23 October 19 19:39 BST (UK) »
I've come across a mural for one of my ancestors in Sir William Dugdales 'Antiquities of Warwickshire' published in 1656 but I'm having trouble in verifying the quarterings of arms given.

Alice, the wife of Thomas Dabridgecourt, Esquire, of Longdon Hall, Solihull was daughter of John Greswold, Esquire, of Longdon Hall, Solihull and Alice Verney of Compton Verney.
I'm a bit confused by her quarterings as they don't appear to follow the same arms as used by her fathers line.

I have -
1 and 4, the arms of Greswold of Solihull and Kenilworth.
2, A chevron between 3 leopards faces?
3, A chevron between 3 garbs? This looks like the arms of Blakelow?

I can see no link to the Blakelow family in Alice's pedigree. The arms given by the Greswold family in the visitation of Warwickshire are the arms of Greswold quartering Stockley. These were in use by Alice's father and her brother.
Alice's grandparents were Richard Greswold, Esquire, of Longdon and Joane Stockley of Poxall.
Alice was also heir of her brother Richard Greswold, Esquire.

There is an image of another mural dedicated to Richard Greswold, Esquire, who uses the same quarterings as Alice although does not use the Greswold arms twice and are also joined with the quartered arms of Stockley.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
Re: Quarterings of wife?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 October 19 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Without having time to look at this is any detail, I will say that the use of quarters in English heraldry is fairly fluid.  The armiger can pick and choose which, if any, to display.  The only caveat is that, if selecting from inherited quartered Arms, the paternal Arms that brought those quarters must be displayed with them. So no cherry-picking just the most impressive ones.
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Re: Quarterings of wife?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 November 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I have received a little more information on the blazons from seeing the wood panels in Solihull.
It appears Alice is using the same arms as used by Thomas Greswold, Esquire, who dies in 1577 (Her uncle)

The Wood panel in Solihull church gives Alice's arms as -
1. Greswold - Argent, a fess gules and in chief two greyhounds courant sable.
2. Hawes - Azure, a chevron argent between three leopards faces or.
3. Blacklowe/Blakelowe or Hugford ??? - Azure?, a chevron between three garbs (Closed Cups?) or.
4. ? - Azure, a chevron argent between three pheons reversed or.

I so far cannot find any instance of a Greswold male marrying a Hawes or Blacklowe but these 2 arms are seen in the Visitation of Warwickshire.
The arms of the 3rd quartering on the wood panel are described as 'Garbs' by whoever blazoned them on the document I possess. From looking at the picture of the board they could possibly be closed cups, if so these are the same arms as the Hugford family of Solihull. This maybe the correct identification as the Greswold family pedigree is topped by 'John Greswold of Kenilworth, Warwickshire who marries a daughter of William Hugford of Hulverle Hall, Solihull.
I do not know who the last Arms belong to.

The Hawes are a well known land owning family around Solihull and via the Greswold pedigree, a daughter of John Greswold of Kenilworth married Thomas Hawes of Shirley in the early 1300s.
The pedigree also shows Alice's grt grandfather John Greswold of Longdon Hall as marrying an Elizabeth unknown (Could possibly have been a Hawes)

Alice's uncle is using the same arms so this perhaps shows that these quarterings were in use prior to Alice, I don't think she would have inherited them from him as she was not heir of her uncle and he had male issue. She was only heir of her brother Richard who died without issue in 1555.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent