Author Topic: 'Jeep' as a nickname  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Jeep' as a nickname
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 October 19 04:43 GMT (UK) »
According to the online tree which mentions “Jeep”, does it say who he married?

If so, armed with her name and his surname, maybe you could locate the marriage, and purchase the certificate.

Depending on location, dates, etc it may give you his proper name as well as his age, father’s name and occupation, which may help you work out his relationship with your family.

Other official documents such as their children’s birth and marriage certificates may give his birth name too.

Does the online tree give a date and place for his birth? Have you looked for births for X Groves in that place and time frame?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 October 19 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Rusky,

The only info. available on said tree from Reply #3 his name is Jeeps Grove i.e. no other info. available.

I asked for a Country & County as the world is a big place i.e. some idea would help but seems our OP has absolutely no other info. to go on...however, where/when the child of Jeeps was born would be a start if known?

Annie

Add...Reading between the lines it may be an illegitimate birth & 'Jeeps' being the reputed father?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 October 19 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes Annie, I understand that the OP doesn’t know anything about Jeep, but surely Jeep can’t exist in isolation in the online tree.

If Jeep is the tree owner’s grandfather, I thought she might have recorded her grandmother’s name, their marriage, their children’s names. Something more. Anything? .... Even a small snippet of information about other family might help find out more about Jeep.

As you say, a country, county and time frame might also help.

Add...Reading between the lines it may be an illegitimate birth & 'Jeeps' being the reputed father?

That makes sense Annie. It would explain the lack of information about this man.  :)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 November 19 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask which website this persons family tree appears on please.
John

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 November 19 00:46 GMT (UK) »

I asked for a Country & County as the world is a big place i.e. some idea would help but seems our OP has absolutely no other info. to go on...however, where/when the child of Jeeps was born would be a start if known?

Sorry, I didn't realise there had been further discussion.

The country is Canada - I put that in my first post. 

The person named Jeep is the shown as the paternal grandfather on a tree at Ancestry and possibly born in the late 1920s or in the 1930s.  The father is marked as living and there is no grandmother shown.  The same person has trees at MyHeritage and FTDNA with no details of the father's side.