Author Topic: Family History Program and GEDCOM  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Family History Program and GEDCOM
« on: Saturday 26 October 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking to buy a new family history program, the one I have currently is well over 20 years old (Family Tree Genealogy Suite).  Reason being is that it was intended for a 32 bit, the computer I am using now is a 64 bit and I cannot open the program. 

First issue is can anyone recommend a good program to use, I don't need it to hold a lot of intricate details, I just need to transfer all my information I currently hold into a new family history program.  Secondly, this GEDCOM business does worry me, in all the years I have done my family history I have never used this method, never had the reason to.  Question is how easy/difficult would it be to transfer all my connections/relationships/trees over to a new program, I need to have it done as I have no other way of looking at my information.

Thanks for any advice

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Program and GEDCOM
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Similar question at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=820672.0

which has started to receive answers re Gedcom transfer, so to save duplication, please continue that part of the discussion there.

As for which program to use, these boards have plenty of suggestions, personal preferences etc. Most programs also have a trial version to help you find one that you like.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Family History Program and GEDCOM
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 October 19 19:25 GMT (UK) »
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).