Author Topic: Newton's in Hull, possible Jewish link...or not?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Newton's in Hull, possible Jewish link...or not?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 October 19 18:23 BST (UK) »
I am obviously doing something wrong with the newspaper searches as I was looking for a death announcement for Kate  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 October 19 18:27 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find them in a pub - not yet.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 October 19 22:29 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find them in a pub - not yet.

I have not found a pub reference yet either

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 October 19 23:26 BST (UK) »
Apologies for delay, couldn't reply from phone so needed to access laptop when  I got home. Thankyou all, I do appreciate this;  it seems that she wasn't Jewish, this is bizarre as her granddaughter wears a star of David! I did think from the photo Kate looked slightly Jewish. But perhaps she was disowned for another reason... Thomas was known as Walter yet it doesnt seem to have been his middle name, and the gentleman on Ancestry seems correct that we have the same Kate. Yes that's her on the census, I havent bought Millicent's birth cert as I've literally only just started researching this side. My mother-in-law to be is adamant they ran or owned a pub in Hull and the photo is took of them standing outside it. JON, thankyou for that, it's an added extra I didn't expect and I never seem to find!
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 October 19 08:04 GMT (UK) »
I would be surprised if Kate had been disowned by her family when she married, particularly as she was only living a few doors away from her parents.  Family rumours are often untrue

Tait & Twydale mentioned on the death information John found appear to be Funeral undertakers

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 October 19 08:11 GMT (UK) »
'her granddaughter wears a star of David!'

Is the granddaughter Kate's daughter's daughter's or her son's daughter?

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 October 19 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Chempat, it's her daughters daughter who wears it. Kate's daughter Millicent's daughter. Millicent was 16 when her mum Kate died. Im puzzled how this rumour has come about. 
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 October 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I would say the photo was taken around 1920 so the pub most likely has been demolished. I would think that the pub would have been located somewhere in the Stoneferry area or not too far away.
I have looked for a match for the windows and panelling and have seen some similar, the closest Being "The Hope and Anchor" that I found in my friend Paul's book. Cleveland Street is not too far from Stoneferry and Lorraine Street, also "The Ferryboat Tavern" in Wincomlee.

https://www.paul-gibson.com/pubs-and-breweries/lost-pubs-of-hull-f-to-l.php

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Carol
Thats amazing - thankyou! I'll pass info onto fiance's mother, she'll love to hear this.