Author Topic: Legerwood Cemetery  (Read 2129 times)

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Legerwood Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 May 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
I AM FINDING IT DIFFICULT TO SORT OUT WITH ROBERTSONS AND STEPHENSONS!!!1 I FOUND ADAMS DEATH CERT IN ANCRUM 7-10 1927 WIFE JANE TAIT PARENTS JAMES HALLIDAY ,,PLOUGHMAN AND ANNIE MEIN AND WITNESS TO DEATH MARY HALLIDAY DAUGHTER. DIED AT GREENEND PRESUMABLY  A FARM AT ANCRUM.

WHO MARRIED A ROBERTSON ? ND WHO MARRIED A STEPHENSON ?
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 May 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your interest and research Alan  :D. This gives us a new line to follow. Adam Halliday that we are looking for, born1818, had a brother James born 27/12/1819, his wife in family history research is recorded as Anne McLeish (I wonder if this is correct!)   

Robertson:  Adam and James Mother was Marrion Robertson, their father was George Halliday, a Ploughman.

Stephenson:  Adam born 1818 married Margaret Dickson Tinto Stephenson, although the birth record is the only place that the middle names are used.

Family lore had James Halliday living in the Lauder area and working part time at Berkinside/Burn Castle.

Again my thanks, June

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 May 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
I have just looked up Robert Halliday on Scotlands People. There is a birth 1869 and also a death with the Mothers Surname listed as MacLeish in 1869 at Channelkirk.

The Cemetery Headstone Inscription that you have provided to us is appearing more and more likely to be the correct family for James Halliday brother of Adam Halliday. I note that in one of the Census reports James of West Mains had a daughter Marion living at home aged 30.

Researching the name Halliday in Scotland is similar to searching for a Smith surname! The Halliday name seems quite common whereas in New Zealand it is not nearly so common.

This research is giving me a very good knowledge of this part of Scotland  ;)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 May 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
I should also mention that in the census return James gave his place of birth as Foulstruther which is correct to fit into the family of George Halliday.