Author Topic: Alexander Cameron and Isabella Cook  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Cameron and Isabella Cook
« on: Monday 28 October 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Cameron b. abt 1821 Tryee, can some one help me please with the names of his parents. Also his wife Isabella Cook b. abt. 1825 Skipness. Need to know her parents names as well. They were married on the 24 Nov 1854 in West Kilbride Ayr.
Info for births came from the 1861 Scotland census.
Thanks.
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Cameron and Isabella Cook
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 October 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karytay

Did they die in Scotland? If so, their death certs should include the names of their parents if known to the informant.

Can't see any children for them post their third born in 1859. Did they leave Scotland?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 October 19 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Following Monica, if they died elsewhere, the names of their children in order may help?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 October 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Possible:
Alexander Cameron b. 5.10.1824 Hilipoll,Tyree (F) Donald (M) Catharene.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 October 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea were or when they died. On familysearch there is a tree generated by familysearch for this couple. It has the first child as Angus b. 1855-1856, Mary 1857 and John 1859.

The reason why I am looking for them, is I am trying to connected Euphemia Taylor age 80 b. abt 1791 Skipness who was living according to the "1871 Scotland census" with Isabella Cameron in West Kilbride and was classified as a pauper. Also it says she is the Aunt.

Two children appear on the census, Mary and John. But no husband Alexander Cameron.

I am trying to find out if Euphemia Taylor above is the same person on my tree. Since census are not always accurate with birth dates, she could be the woman I am looking for.
Since it says she is an Aunt then Isabella could be one of her sisters children or Alexander.
Euphemia Taylor had 4 younger sisters, all I have for them is baptism dates. They are Catherine Taylor bap. 4 Dec 1801 Skipness, Mary Taylor bap. 18 Feb 1806 Skipness, Annabella bap. 1 Mar 1812 Skipness and Ann Taylor bap. 21 Mar 1815 Skipness. Euphemia Taylor was bap. 31 May 1792 Skipness. There parents were Duncan Taylor b.1766 Argyll and Annabella Campbell b. 1770 Skipness.

Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 October 19 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Euphemia Taylor, aged 104, died in West Kilbride in 1883. She is consistently in the census in West Kilbride from 1851 to 1881. Her death certificate should tell you the names of her parents including her mother's maiden surname.

An Isabella Cameron died in West Kilbride in 1914 aged 95, but the index doesn't give another surname so it may be that the informant didn't know the names of her parents. However if this is your Isabella it is likely that she registered her Aunt Euphemia's death and that she knew the names of Aunt Euphemia's parents.

The 1871 and 1881 censuses describe Isabella as a widow, which would explain why Alexander was not at home on those dates. He was at home in 1861, aged 40, so he was born about 1820 and died between 1861 and 1871.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 October 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, it helps to hear other peoples view on ones problem. One then has a clearer direction to follow.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 October 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Possible (but may be an earlier child of same parents):
Alexander Cameron b. 3.12.1817 Balephuill, Tyree (F) Donald (M) Catharene MacKinnon.
Balephuill and Hilipoll are very close to one another.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Alexander died 23/12/1870 West Kilbride - age wrong as shown as 41 - but confirms wife was Isabella Cook.   His parents are shown as John Cameron, labourer (dec'd) and Euphemia Cameron, nee Cameron (dec'd).

John Cameron and Effy Cameron married 29/7/1801 Tyree and had the following children at Tyree:

Angus bp.6/6/1802
Hugh bp.28/10/1804
Donald bp.25/3/1807
Margaret bp.29/11/1810
Mary bp.6/6/1811
Charles bp.18/4/1814
Alexander bp.27/5/1816

Looks like Alexander was 5 years older than he admitted to.

Looks like Isabella Cook was also older than she admitted to - Isabella Cook bp.18/6/1820 Skipness, dau. of Archibald Cook and Mary Taylor.

Archibald Cook and Mary Taylor married 14/10/1815 Skipness and had following children there:

Angus bp.31/3/1817
Isabella bp.18/6/1820
Christie bp.13/3/1824

Hope this helps.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk