Author Topic: Possibility of enlightenment? Amos Hill, Penygraig  (Read 983 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Possibility of enlightenment? Amos Hill, Penygraig
« on: Monday 28 October 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Please would SKS be kind enough to enhance this image for me? The Photo is of my gt gt grandfather Edward Lloyd, standing behind the gate post of his home in Amos Hill, Penygraig.  By his dress he looks as if he has just come home from work at the pit head where he was a stationery engineer. He was also the leader of a Brass Band and was famous in the locality for this - so a newspaper tells me.
Very many thanks if this can be sharpened up.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility of enlightenment? Amos Hill, Penygraig
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 October 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 October 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
One from me
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 00:31 GMT (UK) »
A couple from me. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 12:01 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you so much to Japeflakes, Goldie61 and Peter for your time and excellent tidy up of my photograph. Wonderful.  Cheers.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Really a long shot, Yatton Harry - now March, 2021!  Here goes.

I spotted your interest in the Thomas family.  Also the farms Gwainadda and Graigddu.  My Thomas family lived there (I think!) in the 1840s and 1850s.  My grandfather, Emrys, was subsequently born in Amos Hill in 1898.  Mother Mary, b 1877.  Father - well, that's another story, although I think we know the answer!  Great great grandfather Moses Thomas born 1854, possibly Tonypandy or Ystrad.  That's where my own brick wall starts/stops.  Any info you have on a Thomas family in those areas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Emrys Thomas - Amos Hill, Penygraig
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 March 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
The family on the 1911 census are at Office Row, Penrhiwfer, Tonypandy, Wales, CF40 1SQ

Emrys is 13 and at school and his sister Margaret is 24.

1939 shows he was born 27 Aug 1898, and is married living in 41 Penrhiwfer Road.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 March 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
The family on the 1911 census are at Office Row, Penrhiwfer, Tonypandy, Wales, CF40 1SQ

Emrys is 13 and at school and his sister Margaret is 24.

1939 shows he was born 27 Aug 1898, and is married living in 41 Penrhiwfer Road.

Really a long shot, Yatton Harry - now March, 2021!  Here goes.

I spotted your interest in the Thomas family.  Also the farms Gwainadda and Graigddu.  My Thomas family lived there (I think!) in the 1840s and 1850s.  My grandfather, Emrys, was subsequently born in Amos Hill in 1898.  Mother Mary, b 1877.  Father - well, that's another story, although I think we know the answer!  Great great grandfather Moses Thomas born 1854, possibly Tonypandy or Ystrad.  That's where my own brick wall starts/stops.  Any info you have on a Thomas family in those areas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline happylady

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 March 21 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks for your reply.  I do have quite a lot of info about Emrys.  It's really his grandfather, Moses, who is my brick wall.  I spotted 'Amos Hill' and, knowing that that's where my grandfather, Emrys, was born (I think it was in number 8,) I wondered if there was anyone with knowledge of the family.  I have info on Emrys inc. his birth certificate, marriage cert, also info on his mother, Mary Thomas (unmarried when she had Emrys in 1878).  Mary was daughter of Moses and Margaret Thomas and it was they who more or less raised Emrys.  Mary did eventually marry, but on census returns Emrys is sometimes shown as Moses' son, rather than grandson. I did track down Emrys' father (thanks to a full birth certificate, showing his father's name by mistake and neatly crossed through - also Emrys was given his father's surname as a second Christian name - quite common practice in those days, I understand.)  The 1911 census, as you say, shows Emrys in Penrhiwfer, but the Margaret referred to is actually his mother's sister, so his Aunt.  I do remember her well.  (I was born in 41 Penrhiwfer Road, Tonyrefail, in 1947 - where Emrys was in 1939.)  Back to Moses.  I feel he was 'taken in' as a small boy by a Richards family who once lived in the Gwainadda and Graigddu, but can not confirm, nor can I get any further info on that Moses.  He is with the family as a boarder, then as a stepson, in the 1861 and 1871 censuses.  There was another Moses Thomas born in 1854, living with grandmother, Sarah, in Llantrisant but, again, I'm unable to trace more info.  My brick wall has been around for at least ten years and I can only assume that Moses never was registered.  He told the registrar when he married Margaret that his father was also a Moses, and a colliery overman.  I suspect a flight of fancy!   Again, I much appreciate your interest and thank you for your kind reply. 
Dianne.
Owen, Thomas, Webb, Wilcox, Reynolds, Rees