Author Topic: BELGIUM Census, Emigration Records.  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BELGIUM Census, Emigration Records.
« on: Monday 28 October 19 20:11 GMT (UK) »
My Dutch grandfather moved from Holland to Antwerp, Belgium in 1907 (according to a Dutch census of that time). I have no idea where he lived in Antwerp, but he then arrived in the UK sometime between 1907 and 1911.

I have no idea where he arrived in the UK, where he lived until his marriage in 1911 in Salisbury, UK.

I am trying to fill in the date he may have arrived in the UK (in 1907 he was 16-17 years old).

I have tried an immigration travel search via the UK National Records Office, which came up with nothing. I have been told that before WW1 passports, nor visas may have been required for travel to the UK.

I have his UK Naturalisation certificate, that was carried out in 1947.

I have a name of a relative he 'may' have stayed with in Antwerp, but it was his stepsister when they were on the Dutch census, so possible she may have married when in Antwerp.

Not sure where to start as far a Belgium Records are concerned. New to Family History tbh. Thanks for any ideas.
Davidge (Somerset) / Stevens (Greenwich) / House (Middlesex) / Crookes, Shingler, Fishwick (Lancashire-Cheshire) / Stagg, Lush (Somerset, Dorset).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BELGIUM CENSUS, EMIGRATION RECORDS.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 October 19 20:13 GMT (UK) »
He wouldn't have needed a passport to enter the U.K. and passenger lists for vessels between mainland Europe and the U.K, weren't kept so it will probably be difficult to narrow down a more exact date.

Added- duplicate topic-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=820736.new#new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BELGIUM Census, Emigration Records.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 October 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Can you find him on the Antwerp police immigration index?
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1477769

If so you can find more about how long he was in Antwerp on the full records:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2023926
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 October 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Family Search would not let me join earlier today, but I was then told there was maintainance being done on their website. I will try again.

Thank you again, as I would not have thought of police records.
Davidge (Somerset) / Stevens (Greenwich) / House (Middlesex) / Crookes, Shingler, Fishwick (Lancashire-Cheshire) / Stagg, Lush (Somerset, Dorset).

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 07:27 GMT (UK) »
can you post his full name and year of birth and where he was born - we may be able to find him on a family tree ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 07:46 GMT (UK) »
It may also help if you post details from his marriage certificate regarding his father and the witnesses
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 09:03 GMT (UK) »
You say you have his naturalisation certificate, but did you get a copy of the file?
Others I have seen have a lot of detail provided by the applicant.

Offline Caz.t

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered that for some reason, he had two. One done in 1917 and one in 1947. I have only his 1947 (an original document, along with a certified copy of his birth certificate) that was among my late mother's papers. I will be ordering what I can from the Records Office regarding the 1917 certificate to see what that reveals.

I presume that I would have to go to Kew to see any 'file'? The records are not digitised according to the Records Office search..

I have no idea why there are two. My first search I used the 1947 reference information, so only when I did a second search, using his name, this other one came up, if it is him.

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 October 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
If you are near Kew then by all means visit.
However even if they have not yet digitised the file, they will quote for a copy to be done. The quote costs a small amount, but that might be still cheaper than travelling. You’d pay for a copy either way!
Ask for copies of both 1917 and 1947. There could be different info in each.