Author Topic: 1939 Register details unsealed?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1939 Register details unsealed?
« on: Friday 01 November 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I happened to be using the map search feature for the 1939 Register on FindMyPast today, and just found it interesting to see the families listed etc. I was surprised to see that the profiles for my deceased grandad (b. 1928) and my living great-uncle (b. 1925) were listed, and indeed viewable. When I saved the scan last year I think it was, neither were available. What could have happened that has led to the two being available now, especially considering one is still alive? I looked for two other grandparents born in and before 1939, and they weren’t viewable.

I’d appreciate any information!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register details unsealed?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Looks like deaths have been found but obviously one of those deaths is wrong i.e. possibly a match or close match to your great uncle's birth?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
They’d certainly be right with one death - but still he wasn’t born in the last 100 years, so I thought that was illegal? But they certainly have mistaken the death for my great-uncle, who was still alive as of about 2 months ago.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
If a death has been confirmed, even if the person was born less than 100 years ago, the record is opened. Both of my parents now appear on there - one born 1920 died 2010 and the other 1923 died 1999. I don't know how they found the deaths, I didn't tell them.

Mistakes do happen, and if your great uncle objects to his record being open, if he contacts FindMyPast they will close it again.  I found two aunts on there who were still alive, but that was understandable as they were both 100 years old! I asked them if they wanted it closed, but one said, "What's the point, they will only have to open it again in a year or so."  :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I’ll have to contact him about it. I don’t expect he’ll mind but you never know. Thanks for the reply :)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I'd understood that it was possible to get the details revealed if one could prove that the person had died. It's certainly not 100 years - both my parents were there as youngsters when I looked, and they died in their 70s and 80s, before the registers were first opened. It seems sensible that details of living people would be redacted, no matter how inconvenient it may appear when trying to trace relatives and siblings.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I've found quite a few opened records for living relatives.
(Also, vice-versa: Many deceased that are still closed.)
You can inform them of the mistake and they will quickly redact any that are still living.
Glen  :)
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 November 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Glen. I think I'll inform them. It'd probably a bit much for a 94 year-old man to do himself.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 November 19 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Turns out you need a valid ID e.g. current passport or driving license ;D