Author Topic: 1939 Register details unsealed?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register details unsealed?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 November 19 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know when I queried it, they said it had to come from the person themselves and they needed to prove they were alive!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 November 19 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Turns out you need a valid ID e.g. current passport or driving license ;D

Probably things that a 94 year old may not still have.  ;D

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 November 19 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Very true :)
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 November 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
They’d certainly be right with one death - but still he wasn’t born in the last 100 years, so I thought that was illegal? But they certainly have mistaken the death for my great-uncle, who was still alive as of about 2 months ago.

No, if they have died no matter when the details can be unredacted, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) law does not applied to the deceased.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 November 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know when I queried it, they said it had to come from the person themselves and they needed to prove they were alive!

Strange! I contacted them three years ago when I discovered my mother's record was uncovered and told them that she was very much alive and distressed to find her record open. I pointed out that they would find it impossible to prove she had died and so I did not think I should be expected to prove she was alive - I received a reply very quickly apologising and saying they had now covered up her entry - which they had.

It was quite simple - but perhaps things have changed?

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 November 19 20:24 GMT (UK) »

Strange! I contacted them three years ago when I discovered my mother's record was uncovered and told them that she was very much alive and distressed to find her record open. I pointed out that they would find it impossible to prove she had died and so I did not think I should be expected to prove she was alive - I received a reply very quickly apologising and saying they had now covered up her entry - which they had.

It was quite simple - but perhaps things have changed?

Liz

I did exactly the same when I discovered my aunts entry uncovered two years ago.
I simply asked them to inform me what proof they had that my aunt, who I had been with only a few days earlier, was now dead.
The entry was redacted pretty quickly.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 November 19 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I must admit, I didn't press it as I just asked them why my aunts' records were open when they were alive. They did say, quite rightly, that they opened records after 100 years and a day. Both my aunts had passed their 100 birthday, so were presumed to have died. I pointed out they hadn't and they said they would close them if my aunts requested it themselves. As I said, they weren't bothered, so I didn't pursue it. I suppose if necessary I could have sent them copies of their telegrams from the Queen. 

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 November 19 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I know they have unredacted the wrong person in at least one case

My grandmother is redacted - she passed away several years ago, her younger sister (who is the line below her) is unredacted - and still alive.

I suspect they uncovered the wrong person

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
...probably all blamed on a computer program!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)