Author Topic: William Edge, miner, d 1853 in accident  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Douce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Edge, miner, d 1853 in accident
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 November 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - I have the paper clipping. This says "a pit at Hart's Hill colliery, the property of Lord Ward". I don't know how to reconcile the "Wallace pit" note on the death cert, however!

Andrew

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 November 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all - I have the paper clipping. This says "a pit at Hart's Hill colliery, the property of Lord Ward". I don't know how to reconcile the "Wallace pit" note on the death cert, however!

Andrew

You would need to confirm this with somebody who has more expertise than me, but as far as I understand, "pit" is not exactly equivalent to "mine" (leaving aside "colliery") - there could be several mine shafts in one group.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Douce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 November 19 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip

Thank you for the reply. William was killed by the collapse of a heap of coal, so could be any of the pit/mine/colliery descriptions. I and my two Australian relations have done a lot of research from a distance (although they have both visited the area) and we rely on stalwarts like you to fill in the gaps!

We will continue to look into what happened and, should we find anything else, will update the thread

Andrew