Author Topic: Brickwall  (Read 1210 times)

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brickwall
« on: Friday 01 November 19 22:48 GMT (UK) »
My gggg grandfather was married in Newcastle-upon-Tyne on the 8th of November 1783 his bride was born there in 1761 how do i find out his father's name my gggg grandfather was named william walton he married Ann jameson in1783 I don't know his birth date so can't find his father any ideas
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 November 19 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Do you know which church they married at and can you tell us what you know about their children? That type of information will help us to focus on the correct William Walton.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 November 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
A couple of possibilities might be the William baptised in 1759 to father Thomas and the William baptised in 1757 to parents Anthony and Mary.

I also would not rule out the William baptised in Hebron in 1756 to father William. Less likely in terms of age, but there are Jamesons in Hebron so that could have been how he met his Ann.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 November 19 00:09 GMT (UK) »
You'd want to see the marriage, who were the witnesses? Burial, age on death.
Baptism of son William in 1789 gives William's occupation as Slater.
Ditto the burial of said son William in 1807, age 19, son of William Walton and Ann Jameson, says that his father was a Slater.

Possible?
Burial at St John, 12 April 1835, of a William Walton, abode Stowell Street, age 77
Newcastle Journal, 11 April 1835, Deaths
In this town, on the 8th inst., Mr. Wm Walton, slater, aged 77

Interestingly there's an administration bond for Anthony Walton, Slater, of St Nicholas, Newcastle, in 1761.
North East Inheritance database says "Regranted in 1762 to Catherine Bailey as goods were left unadministered by Mary Walton, since deceased."
Burial of an Anthony Walton in Newcastle, 22 Oct 1761. Have no more info.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 November 19 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Well the second administration bond mentions Anthony and Thomas Walton, infants, children of the deceased, but not a William!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6WK3-X94?i=157&cc=2353049

Catherine Bailey was the sister of William's widow.

First bond to widow Mary, and oath
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZZ7-KN7?i=114&cc=2353049

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 November 19 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all many thanks for your efforts william and Ann were married at St John's in Newcastle-upon-Tyne they had four children Margaret, William, Elisabeth  and John now John I do know married at same church to a Jane Robinson in 1816
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 November 19 10:22 GMT (UK) »
John Walton married Jane Robinson, 12 Nov 1816, at St John
Witnesses Joseph Walton, Hannah Walton
BT here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XXZ7-4VC?i=520&cc=1309819&cat=1809373

A likely baptism of son Joseph, 27 Nov 1818, at St Andrew. Father John a Cordwainer
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D1HQ-KF6?i=511&cc=1309819&cat=1809360

Family in Newcastle in 1841. Piece 824 book 3 folio 6 page 5. John, 40, is a Shoemaker.   
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7WC-5WJ

Birth of youngest son
WALTON, WILLIAM       
Mother's Maiden Surname: ROBINSON 
GRO Reference: 1840  J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION  Volume 25  Page 353

The Joseph Walton(s) are worrying me!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 November 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Jane Walton, 54, is widowed in 1851 in Jesmond. Piece 2408 folio 313 page 8. Sons Joseph and William are with her.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGXW-J4H

Possible death of John
WALTON, JOHN       
Age at Death (in years): 55 
GRO Reference: 1850  D Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Volume 25  Page 234

Burial at St Andrew, 19 November 1850, abode Jesmond Vale.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XX8B-Q8?i=512&cc=1309819&cat=1809360

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 November 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I've got John waltons death and marriage and John was indeed a shoemaker his son Joseph was also a shoemaker so I know about them the witnesses at his wedding I can't trace or fit anywhere in family tree johns dad was defo william walton and his mother defo Ann jameson but I can't find Williams dad I found a Thomas which I think is a good bet