Author Topic: John Gibson born at Hay Bridge, North Yorkshire  (Read 913 times)

Offline Jonesey2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gibson born at Hay Bridge, North Yorkshire
« on: Saturday 02 November 19 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm trying to find a birth record and any other details for my ancestor John Gibson, who I've learned from censuses was born about 1776 in Hay Bridge, Yorkshire. (This appears as 'Hoxaybridge' in one census transcript, but I think that's wrong - I can't find anything like it.) I've googled this and all I can find is a reference to a Hay Bridge Farm near Ganton, North Yorkshire. I believe his father was also John Gibson, a farmer, according to his death certificate. I know that he moved to Scotland before 1825, where his first child was born, and I've traced his movements from Edinburgh to Peebles to Orkney by 1840. There is a family story about him having to escape from something, but I don't really think it's correct. He was a steward in Peebles, a coach proprietor and then a vintner and a 'prove mer' on Orkney censuses.

I'd appreciate any information, as I don't live in the UK and can't go beyond online sources.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Gibson born at Hay Bridge, North Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 November 19 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Does his death certificate give any information about his mother.  Sorry I am not sure how much information Scottish death certificates gave at that time.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 November 19 11:00 GMT (UK) »

Have you looked at places in Yorkshire on https://www.genuki.org.uk/

"HOWE, and HOWBRIDGE, 3 houses in the township and parish of Old Malton, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles NNE. of Old Malton, 3 miles from Malton."

Or family search

John Gibson (Transcribed Jibson) baptism 30 Oct 1775 Parents John & Elizabeth.
Pickering, North Yorkshire, one mile from a place called Newbridge?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Jonesey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody for the helpful suggestions. I apologise for taking so long to reply - I've been unwell. Regarding John Gibson's death certificate, it says his mother was 'unknown'. Usually I've found more information on death certificates of my Orkney ancestors. His son is shown as the informant, so that's very odd.

Regarding the birthplace, I managed to find an image of the original 1851 census which is where the birthplace 'Hoxaybridge' comes from. I only had a transcript when I first posted and I thought the error must have been in the transcription - but no. It definitely says Hoxaybridge, Yorkshire. The 1841 and 1861 censuses just have his birthplace as England.  So, following Colin's suggestion, I searched Yorkshire place names and imagined John Gibson with a Yorkshire accent, and an Orkney census taker misunderstanding what he said. I'm thinking the strong 'x' sound must have been in the correct name and wondered about whether the actual birthplace is one of these: Haxby, High Hawsker, High Oxnop, High Stakesby, or Roxby. All of these are in North Yorkshire, coincidentally.

Given that I have no marriage certificate as yet, which might give more details, does anyone have another suggestion as to where I might start with this idea of similar sounding place names? I'm thinking it's a hopeless task, but thought I'd pose the question anyway, just in case.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully someone with a good knowledge of Yorkshire places will be able to help. Sorry that I have no ideas for you.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Genuki has this page to locate town/villages in the whole of Yorkshire.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/YRY/Where/A
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Jonesey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 November 19 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, Rosie and Brian. I'll examine the Yorkshire villages list again and keep searching for a marriage certificate of some kind.
Margaret