Author Topic: Herbert Cumberland Wilson family  (Read 1318 times)

Online PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert Cumberland Wilson family
« on: Saturday 02 November 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to discover what became of Herbert Cumberland Wilson's first wife and daughter.
HCW was born Truro in 1861, GRO Reference TRURO Q1/1861 Vol5c Pg178 mother's maiden name Carnell and Cornwall OPC baptism 31 Jan 1861 St Clement son of John and Jane Dolling Wilson of Penair, butler. I have him in the 1861/71 Censuses in St Clement and in the 1881 Census in Marylebone.
He married Mary Ann Elizabeth Morehen, born 1857 in Wadenhoe, Northants, on 23 Aug 1881 Christ Church Marylebone though it seems that they also married 10 Nov 1885 at the Strand Register Office… She was a servant in the 1881 Census in St Pancras.
Daughter Bertha Anne Cumberland Wilson born 1884, GRO Reference ST GERMANS Q3/1884 Vol5c Pg40 mother's maiden name Morehen and Cornwall OPC Baptism 22 Jul 1884 Landrake and St Erney daughter of Herbert Cumberland and Mary Ann Elizabeth Wilson of Saltash, accountant.
HCW served 211 days in the Royal Artillery before purchasing his discharge but have so far found no dates. He then rejoined on 20 Feb 1885 as Private #C/6054, Commissariat and Transport Corps but his military records show him absent without leave by 08 Mar 1886 supposedly due to the death of his wife.
I can find no trace of wife or child after this so hope someone has better luck than me.
He then turns up across the Atlantic by about 1890 spending time in the USA and Canada and getting married again and having at least 2 more children but that is another story…

Thanks in anticipation
Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Cumberland Wilson family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:19 GMT (UK) »
No luck with wife and child but on Herberts short service record he answers "no" to are you married and that looks to be signed Feb 1885.

I don't get why the same couple would marry twice in the space of 4 years  ???
Have you got the second marriage certificate to see if it gives any further clues?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
If he was in the armed services when he married the first time it is possible he did not have permission to marry hence the second marriage.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I do not have the 2nd marriage certificate as he is not that close a relation to me, in fact I am trying to help one of his American descendants. I wonder if the 1st marriage took place while he was in the Royal Artillery and that he had not obtained permission. I see Rosie99 has the same idea.

My real mission is to discover what became of his 1st wife and daughter. I wonder if his 1st wife really did die in 1886 and so maybe the daughter was adopted perhaps within the family but I have found no obvious candidates so far

Thanks for your interest
Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
No luck with wife and child but on Herberts short service record he answers "no" to are you married and that looks to be signed Feb 1885.

Possibly because he had not sought permission to marry.

ADDED I see he also gave a false address on another document

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 November 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Fuller details of first marriage -it does not show he was in the armed forces when he married
Parish records
Christchurch Marylebone
Marriage after banns 23 Aug 1881
Herbert Cumberland Wilson full age Bachelor Brand St occ Draper father John Wilson occ Steward
Mary Anne Elizabeth Morehen full age Spinster of Tissen? Grove father Joseph  Morehen occ Farmer
witnesses Francis Stephen Wilson & Fanny Jane Wilson
all signed

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 19 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to say thank you to Milliepede, rosie99 and suzard for their interest in my query which, like my own research, has sadly not led to any new clues or info.

Must remember to ask Father Christmas for a time machine... ::)

Paul

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 December 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »
It appears there was a son to Herbert and Mary, born New York in 1886:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WMV-WFQ

I can't find any later trace of him but perhaps Mary actually died in the US or Canada?

Online PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 December 19 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello jorose,

Brilliant find!  ;D
Certainly looks as though Mary died in the USA or Canada and not England, and we now have another member of the family to track down.
I'll pass this info on to the American end of the family and see if it helps.

Paul