Author Topic: 'The Underwear Project - 1940s Remembered Event  (Read 2192 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'The Underwear Project - 1940s Remembered Event
« on: Saturday 02 November 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure why this event is bizarrely called 'The Underwear Project..' but it is - I will ask at the library when I can next get there.  This event will be held at North Shields library starting at 18.30 on Tuesday 24 March 2020.

This is the info on this as given in the 'Our North Tyneside' brochure:

'Discover how  we managed with wartime shortages.  Featuring cookery demonstrations and tasting, try your hand at pulling down (unknitting!) old jumpers ready to re-knit, rag rugging and patchwork.  Also featuring a morse code machine, toys and games.  Try life without technology, dressed in 1940s clothing if you wish.'

There will be a charge to attend this event - £5 and booking is essential.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Underwear Project - 1940s Remembered Event
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 November 19 22:18 GMT (UK) »
If the underwear project involves any sort of 'pulling down' (unravelling knitting or otherwise) then my Mam says I can't attend.

<she's dead against that sort of thing>

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 November 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hahahahhahahhahahahhaha
I will ask Joyce
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 November 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Radcliffe,  I think this would be good if you could get to the bottom of all this 'underwear' 👙 business.  ???

Boo, when I saw that you had made a post I thought you were going to explain how 'underwear' features amongst all the mentioned 1940s cookery, tastings, knitting, toys and games.  You can usually be relied on to explain most things - but alas no, this time this even appears beyond your understanding.  I can understand why Mam's like yours,  anywhere may have misgivings about such a possibly suggestive risque titled event.  :-[ Even if this is just of a perceived turning in the grave type of disapproval. ;)

Incidentally, this is the first time I have come across unravelling knitting referred to as 'pulling down' and 'unknitting'.

If you do get the chance to speak to someone at the local studies about this before I do, I for one, would be very interested to read their explanation on here Radcliff. 

It sounds like it will be a very interesting and fun event.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 November 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
We have a book at Blyth Battery which contains, among many other things, a knitting pattern for a set of ladies underwear.  So my guess is that knit your own would be part of the evening  ;D

Christine

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 November 19 12:18 GMT (UK) »
This reminds me of stories I have read regarding knitted swimsuits which stretched something wicked when the person wearing it got into the water. Never had one myself, thank goodness but I do remember the Liberty Bodice with the little rubber buttons. Can't think of anything worse than a pair of knitted knickers, particularly if made out of rough, itchy wool

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 November 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
The sea water used to make the woolen knitted swimsuits very harsh and scratchy as well as totally unsuitable for purpose.  I reckon wooly vest and knickers would be equally unsuitable and also uncomfortable.

Christine

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 November 19 19:56 GMT (UK) »
It's been cancelled
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 November 19 20:11 GMT (UK) »
We used to spend all our time after school swimming at Blyth beach, but I can't remember what my swimsuit was like. It certainly wasn't knitted, because my Mum couldn't knit.
This must have been just post war, because I expect sea swimming wouldn't be allowed during the war. Risk from German submarines etc.
I honestly can't remember what underclothes I wore, apart from liberty bodices which emeltom  mentioned.
I have vague memories of the adults liking 'french knickers', and nylon stockings brought in by the Americans.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow