Author Topic: Banffshire (Rathven Parish) Baptism - Anna Bennet  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Lee Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire (Rathven Parish) Baptism - Anna Bennet
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 November 19 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Cannot help with the baptisms of the Bennett siblings you mention but I've got notes of Margaret Chapman d/o John Chapman & Margaret Bennett - Margaret Chapman married George Geddes crofter/farmer Broomhill Keith - she was his second wife.

Thanks for that information on Bleacockmuir/Blaemuir - I think that's the right spot next to Walkerdales.

I do have a Margaret Chapman, daughter of John Chapman and Margaret Bennett. Born 1784 in Bellie. I didn't have a marriage for her but this could be it! Thanks again for your help! There seems to be a few Chapman-Geddes marriages as Margaret's brother Alexander Chapman married Margaret Geddes and her sister Ann Chapman married George Geddes.
- Ross (Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
- Clark (Bellie, Moray, Scotland)
- Parker (Bristol, England/West Indies)
- Appleyard (Tadcaster, Yorkshire, England)
- Wheatley (London, England)
- Gallagher (County Donegal, Ireland)
- Lambert (County Limerick, Ireland)
- Casbolt (Cambridgeshire, England)
- Slavin (County Armagh, Ireland)
- McBride (County Armagh, Ireland)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire (Rathven Parish) Baptism - Anna Bennet
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 November 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Lee, apologies but I must correct my posting. I meant to say:
I've got notes of Ann Chapman d/o John Chapman & Margaret Bennett - Ann Chapman married George Geddes crofter/farmer Broomhill Keith - she was his second wife.
which of course you already know about.

My notes on these Chapmans are in the context of a Geddes dynasty headed by William Geddes & Ann Mackay, in Tarrymount. His parents are believed to be John Geddes & Anne Chapman, so he was born Nether Clochen bpt 10 Nov 1782. We think Ann Chapman is d/o Alex Chapman & Marg Spence born 6 May 1760 Finfan Urquhart Moray (the family then moved to Ryeriggs). We cannot pin down who John Geddes is - he died 15 May 1841 age 88 and was a weaver in Clochan.

One reason for having these notes is that one of my Geddes lines comes from Portsoy where my 3xgtgdfather John Geddes was clerk to the RC church for many years - he seems to be son of William Geddes & Jean Riach in Slackabates - his father in turn being William Geddes 'blacksmith in the wards' (of Walkerdales).

Trying to pin these people down and make the connections which must be in there somewhere has proved a hopeless task! Despite all the effort that several people have put into it.

I didn't have anything on Alexander Chapman & Margaret Geddes, though now you mention it. I've spotted their marriage in 1829. Have you anything on who she is?