Author Topic: Struggling to find 1881 census information on William Holmes.  (Read 1024 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to find 1881 census information on William Holmes.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »

Sorry, yeah, didn't think. If it is Kew Street, there's a 14 in front that is presumably the number. Thanks.

That brings up Walmsley and Prescott
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline cafetiere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »

Sorry, yeah, didn't think. If it is Kew Street, there's a 14 in front that is presumably the number. Thanks.

I've seen the name Walmsley as a godparent on at least one baptismal record for some of William and Alice's children. Do you have any more information that I can search for? Thanks.

Offline cafetiere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »

I've seen the name Walmsley as a godparent on at least one baptismal record for some of William and Alice's children. Do you have any more information that I can search for? Thanks.

Yes, John and Mary Anne Walmsley (Latinised) are godparents of William b.1884.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Its Richard 50 (widower) marine engine fitter, his son Richard 21 Carter, daughter Clara 19  domestic servant and son Joseph 10 scholar

Sorry to say but I think they (Wm & Alice & family) are not on the 1881 or at least I cannot find them
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline cafetiere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 November 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Its Richard 50 (widower) marine engine fitter, his son Richard 21 Carter, daughter Clara 19  domestic servant and son Joseph 10 scholar

Sorry to say but I think they (Wm & Alice & family) are not on the 1881 or at least I cannot find them

Thanks, no I can't find them either. Maybe they were out of the country? Alice's parents were Irish so maybe they were there?.

But I followed Richard W. back to 1871 and found John W. And then found him in 1881 with his wife Sarah Anne. He was a carter as well so, I'm guessing, was a workmate of WH hence godparents. Thanks for your help.

Offline cafetiere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 November 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1871 and 1891 entries are the same family. I can find birth records for the children on the GRO website with mother's maiden name Daley/Daly. There is a marriage for William Holmes and Alice Daley 4Q 1867 Liverpool 8b 426.

There were two other children who died :

Francis Holmes SQ 1882 Liverpool 08B 17 , died 1883 ,  address 5 Eldon Street, Liverpool

Catherine Ann Holmes 1880 Liverpool 08B 9
baptism Catharina Anna Holmes 18 Nov 1879 St Anthony's Liverpool , father Gulielmii ( William ), mother Alicia ( formerly Daley ) - street address is given but I can't decipher it.
She died and was buried 27 Sep 1883 Ford Cemetery  , address by this time was 5 Eldon Street as above.

The family is not at Eldon Street in 1881 - they may be at the address which I cannot decipher on Catherine's baptism.

Hello

Just going back to this, where did you search? FreeBMD or Ancestry or somewhere else?  Thanks.