Author Topic: GIBSON, George Coldingham  (Read 1270 times)

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GIBSON, George Coldingham
« on: Monday 04 November 19 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me find out if this George Gibson born 16th July 1868, the son of Anderson Gibson and Margaret Symington.
in 1871 he was at Burnhall in Coldingham
1881 at 39 Hutcheson Square in Govan in Glasgow with his sister Elizabeth and husband and family
1891 saw him back with his father, a widower, at Bell Strand Cottages in Berwick on Tweed, with his brother David and wife and family
1901 he has moved to Polworth in Berwickshire with another of his sisters, Alice or Alison and her husband Ebenezer Forsyth and their family. It also says he is married, but no mention of his wife and I am unable to find a marriage for George in either Northumberland nor Berwickshire!
Where is he and to whom did he marry or is the information on 1901 census incorrect?

Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: GIBSON, George Coldingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 November 19 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Can't vouch for the 1901 Census it depends on where you viewed it - was it the original or a transcript??

Have you looked at this entry for the 1911 Scotland Census - George Gibson age 42 in Eyemouth Ref 739/2/3  - Scotlandspeople site.

Also a death for a George Gibson in Eyemouth in 1946 aged 78 - Ref 739/17 again at scotlandspeople.

I see from the 1891 Census (England) that he is listed as Deaf & Dumb.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 November 19 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid that you have picked the wrong George Gibson, there were at least two, one born in Eyemouth and one in Coldingham.
I think you may find that the Eyemouth person stays and is recorded in Eyemouth on most of the Censuses as being in Eyemouth

Thanks anyway

Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 December 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »

GEORGE GIBSON   born   1868   Coldingham

I assume George marries between 1884 and 1901 but more likely 1891 and 1901, In 1884 – 1891 he was in Glasgow. There were two marriages but one had a middle name the other below on SP.

GIBSON   GEORGE   ANDREW   CATHERINE   1890   Calton (Glasgow)

In 1891 there were no Catherine’s in Berwickshire but 5 in Glasgow, I have eliminated 4, maybe Catherine was with her mother.
I have not checked the 1901, I’m running out of time.

GIBSON   CATHERINE   1891   18   644/2 2/ 19   Camlachie   Lanark

ANDREW   ELIZABETH   1891   41   644/2 2/ 19   Camlachie   Lanark

After 1891 he was in Berwickshire where there two marriages George on both had a middle name.

1901 as you know.
GIBSON   GEORGE   1901   32   Polwarth   Berwick

In 1911 there is a George age 40 and Catherine age 39 in Carlton, Glasgow but you would need to view the census to see if this is correct.

Good luck Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 December 19 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Just one more thing worth looking at, there were a number of George Anderson Gibson's born in Scotland 1890- - 1911, two were in Glasgow in the 1890s. I just wonder if George and Catherine were visiting parents at the time of the censuses?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 December 19 11:38 GMT (UK) »
That 1891 census (from a transcription) in Camlachie lists Catherine Gibson, 18, married, as the daughter of Elizabeth Andrew.This looks like Catherine Watson Andrew, born 3 February 1873, daughter of Hugh Andrew and Elizabeth Davidson.  Hugh Andrew, 60, who died in Glasgow in 1881, could have been Catherine's father.

There is also an Elizabeth Gibson, granddaughter, under 1 year, born Glasgow, and there's a birth of Elizabeth David... Gibson in Bridgeton in 1890.

In 1901 Catherine Gibson, married, 28, is still in Camlachie, at 125 Crownpoint Road, Glasgow, with Lizzie, 10; Robert, 3; and George, under 1 year. The two boys' birth certificates might be very enlightening. A Robert Gibson was born in Camlachie in 1897 and a George Roberts... Gibson in Camlachie in 1900.

I think you should look at that marriage of George Gibson to Catherine Andrew.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.