Author Topic: 1914 Curragh Camp  (Read 557 times)

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1914 Curragh Camp
« on: Monday 04 November 19 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Sorry to bother anyone. I was wondering if someone could help answer two questions.
The first is who holds the records for the Royal Irish Rifles from 1914? Im looking to find out if a soldier named Philip Savage, service number 1747 is in fact my relation.
 Also, I noticed on the 1911 census there seemed to be civilians staying in The Curragh Camp. I was wondering in 1914 was there any type of record or registry taken of civilians that may have been there?
 Philip was suppose to be travelling with a lady by the name of Annie Neill whom I have found in a petty court session in the Curragh but was hoping to confirm if she was actually living there with him.
Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
Ronan

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1914 Curragh Camp
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Some of his army papers have survived and can be found on Ancestry - he was born around 1880, his mother was Mary Ann Farrell, resident in Kilkeel. He was discharged in 1915 suffering from acute melancholia. Does that help to confirm or eliminate?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 November 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your answers. Is whats on ancestry.co.uk all the records that survived or would his registration papers possibly be held by the Royal Ulster Rifles today?
 Still very interested to know if any records of civilians based in the curragh in 1914 are known to exist.
 Thanks again your helps really appreciated.
Ronan
 Unfortunitely his photo isnt in that list, would have been nice if it was

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 November 19 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Actually his mothers name eliminates him. Thats not the philip savage im looking for. Thats unfortunate. His mothers name was Margaret Murphy.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 November 19 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Was Annie Neill in the Curragh Petty Sessions in 1915
There is an Annie Neill aged 62 Music Teacher assaulted while out for a walk.
Possibly this woman in Nurney in 1911
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Nurney/Nurney/538530/

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 November 19 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes the Annie Neill i was questioning had her court date on 22/5/1915.
 However the Annie Neill I'm trying to trace was born Annie Edwards in ballynaslaney wexford. She married a British soldier in 1897 who was stationed in marlborough barracks. He was sent of to fight in the Boer war and died just after the birth of their son William Morris. In 1903 Annie married Michael Neill and had 3 more children, Michael, Brigit and Frances. All the time staying in ballynaslaney.
The family stories tell us her second husband wasn't very nice to her and she left him for philip savage in and around 1912 - 1914. Where they went we dont know but when Annie returned in 1919 philip wasn't with her and she had another son named Alfred.
 When searching for records i came across 3 names in the curragh, philip savage, Annie Neill and a William Morris in the 4th hussars, his age wasn't correct but i hope it was him and that he lied to enroll in the army.
 Unfortunately going by what Ive learned here they seem to be the wrong people, very disappointing but everyones help is deeply appreciated and thank you.