Author Topic: Ester Shepherd  (Read 1317 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ester Shepherd
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
The only daughter you mention born 1853, the nearest and only one 1851 - 1855 I can find on GRO  leaves me a little confused particularly when I read the other responses.

GRIFFEN, ESTHER  ELIZABETH   Mother's Maiden Surname: CHAPMAN  Dec 1852 THE HASTINGS UNION 

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Only marriage I can find in Jersey may have a typo in the transcription

18 June 1843 Philip Griffith (born c.1822) and Esther Stopford (born c. 1822)

Plus these baptisms

19 April 1845 Philip Clifford son of Phillip and Esther (Shephard)
26 August 1847 Charles William son of Philip Griffith and Esther (Shepard)
14 April 1849 Graham Edward son of Philip Griffith and Esther (Shepard)

The refernces for the Censuses I have found so far are

1851 HO107/2527/F563/p8 (Jersey)

1861 RG09/674/F24/p3 (Southampton)

1871 RG10/1193/F111/p27 (Southampton)

1891 RG12/917/F45/p12 (Southampton)

Emeltom

Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
The only daughter you mention born 1853, the nearest and only one 1851 - 1855 I can find on GRO  leaves me a little confused particularly when I read the other responses.

GRIFFEN, ESTHER  ELIZABETH   Mother's Maiden Surname: CHAPMAN  Dec 1852 THE HASTINGS UNION 

Colin

I am a little confused myself. I have a marriage record for Esther Elizabeth Griffin to James Isaac Smith in Southampton 1870. She was 17 years old according to the marriage record, which would place her year of birth around 1853. The father's name is Philip Griffith and he was also a witness to the marriage too.

I am questioning where I got Ester Shepherd and Philip Griffith from now as I dont believe I would have wrote it down without any information on linking them. hmmm. Thank you for your response!

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Ester Elizabeth Griffin 1853

She married my 3x Great Grandfather in 1870 in Southampton
Her census records show that in
1871 she lived in Kingcare, Hampshire (Born Southampton)
1881: Kingcare, Hampshire (Born Southampton)
1891: Hounslow, London (Born Hampshire)
1901: Heston, London (Born At Sea) - name is Hester on the census
1911: Heston, London (Born Southampton)

My current mission is to find Ester Elizabeth Griffiths birth record with father Philip to ensure that this woman that his form is about is the mother of Ester Elizabeth Griffith.

Thanks again!

Found in the England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 that her mother was Esther and father Philip

I found her census in 1861 living with Mother, Father and siblings in St Marys, Southampton, Hampshire. The mother Ester Griffith is from Lyme Regis according to that census. Which is why I have her as mother from Lyme Regis.

You are right Ester and Philip had 7 Children in the 1861 census.
Phillip Griffith 1846 Channel Island
Charles Giffith 1848 Channel Island
Graham Griffith 1850 Channel Island
John Griffith 1852 Channel Island
Ester E Griffith 1853 Southampton
Caroline Griffith 1858 Southampton
Frederick Griffith 1860 Southampton

I will assume that Esther and Philip Griffith got married on the Channel Island.

My main target to the task now is to find the Marriage record of Ester and Phillip Griffith in around 1845.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
This is beginning to get confusing. In the 1861 Census Philip and Esther have three children with them born Southampton - Esther aged 7, Caroline aged 3 and Frederick aged 1.

I can find all three baptised in Southampton to Philip and Esther but no GRO birth refs.
Esther Elizabeth 12 June 1853
Caroline born 1857 baptised 1858
Frederick Alfred 1860

They also have the three children born in Jersey which I gave in my previous post plus a son John born c1852 in Jersey whom I didn't find.

In 1871 the children are Caroline 13, Louisa 7 and Henry 3 - no baptisms found but the GRO births give the mother's maiden name as Walters.

Are we looking at two different families?
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:59 GMT (UK) »
This is beginning to get confusing. In the 1861 Census Philip and Esther have three children with them born Southampton - Esther aged 7, Caroline aged 3 and Frederick aged 1.

I can find all three baptised in Southampton to Philip and Esther but no GRO birth refs.
Esther Elizabeth 12 June 1853
Caroline born 1857 baptised 1858
Frederick Alfred 1860

They also have the three children born in Jersey which I gave in my previous post plus a son John born c1852 in Jersey whom I didn't find.

In 1871 the children are Caroline 13, Louisa 7 and Henry 3 - no baptisms found but the GRO births give the mother's maiden name as Walters.

Are we looking at two different families?

Does it only show 3 children in the 1861 Census that you have found? on https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7HX-VX7 It claims that there are 7 Children. It is very confusing!
You have done well with finding the Baptism records for Esther, Frederick Alfred and Caroline!
I also see you found the 3 Baptism records from Jersey for Philip Clifford,  Charles William and Graham Edward.

Thank you for your help!

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 12:07 GMT (UK) »
In my post I mention the three children born Southampton, plus the three children I had found born Jersey plus another one born Jersey whom I hadn't found

In 1861 the children are
Philip 15 jersey
Charles 13 jersey
Graham 11 Jersey
John 9 Jersey
Esther 7 Southampton
Caroline 3 Southampton
Frederick 1 Southampton

Emeltom

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Dorset FHS have recorded the baptism of Hester Waters(sic) 7 June 1820 St Michael, Lyme Regis, mother Jane Waters.

Ester married Philip Griffith as Ester Stopford in Jersey . The three children born to Philip and Ester in Jersey give her maiden name as Shepard so where did the name Stopford/Shephard come from. I can't see a marriage for a Jane Waters/Walters to a Stopford/Shepard.

Emeltom

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 12:21 GMT (UK) »
In my post I mention the three children born Southampton, plus the three children I had found born Jersey plus another one born Jersey whom I hadn't found

In 1861 the children are
Philip 15 jersey
Charles 13 jersey
Graham 11 Jersey
John 9 Jersey
Esther 7 Southampton
Caroline 3 Southampton
Frederick 1 Southampton

Emeltom

I have them wrote down. I also found that they had 2 more children according to the 1871 census, Louisa and Henry Griffith!

I wonder where Shepherd come from then? I wonder why the name changed? I would have thought it maybe a second marriage but you said you have looked down that route. Hmmm?

It also looks like I have the correct information regarding her being born in Lyme Regis given that her census records for 1861 and 1871 state she is from Lyme. I havent been able to locate her 1841, 1851 or 1891 census though.