Author Topic: Blissett of Wilbarston  (Read 692 times)

Offline Scribed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blissett of Wilbarston
« on: Wednesday 06 November 19 14:41 GMT (UK) »
My first post so please be gentle: I have been researching my family for a number of years using the various websites, local record offices, historic newspapers,visiting locations and talking to locals etc. Have unearthed some great information however like many i have hit a road block.

The Blissett family i am from originated and lived for many years in and around Wilbarston, and i have solid references that take me back to a Thomas Blissett abt 1744-1798 who lived in Wilbarston. But no matter how hard i try i cant find where he was born or who his father was. I have done some work in the surrounding area on the principle he moved to Wilbarston for work but without success.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Also as the Blissett have lived in the village of Wilbarston for hundreds of years i would love to find out more of its history.

Looking forward to your replies.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blissett of Wilbarston
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find a birth for Thomas but the burial you mention is on freereg. There are 33 other BMDs on the site between 1771 & 1874 but mainly burials.

Thomas BLISSETT   Burial   29 Oct 1798   Northamptonshire   Wilbarston : All Saints

The two earliest baptisms are I presume your family, parents Thomas & Frances.

Thomas BLISSIT   Baptism   26 May 1771   Northamptonshire   Wilbarston : All Saints :
Willm BLISSET   Baptism   26 Feb 1775   Northamptonshire   Wilbarston : All Saints :

Do you know when and where Thomas married?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Scribed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for such a quick reply.

The 27th March 1769 Thomas married  Frances Barron, at Wilbarston  church, this is the first record i could find covering Thomas, before that date i can find nothing. If he did move to the area i have no idea where from. I have read that this seemed to be quite common at the time, but not where from.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 November 19 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at all the trees on Ancestry that there are for him, and followed up their suggestions as to parentage/place of birth?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 November 19 11:37 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Thomas Blesset/t baptisms in England all quite distant from Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire & Worcestershire being the nearest.

However I looked for a possible marriage for his parents, the only one anywhere near the name below.

Elizabeth LOVEDAY to William BLESSED Marriage   13 May 1731Northamptonshire   Lilford  St Peter   Both otp

An Elizabeth Blesset of the parish also married there in 1751.

From then until 1769 there were 5 more marriages at Lilford Cum Wigsthorpe, Northamptonshire, surnames transcribed Blessed & Blesset

I cannot find any baptisms there online, I just wondering if these were the parents of Thomas?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Scribed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 November 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again, i will investigate further the details you have raised covering the Blissett's at Lilford as the spelling difference seems to reflect earlier versions of the name.

i also have a  potential connection with a Thomas Blessett at Harringworth baptism 4 march 1711.

So that's two areas requiring further research. i have looked many times on ancestry at other researches trees and they all stop at the same person, so any break through i make will help them all.

Keep the ideas coming and if anybody can add any good sources to find out more about the village of Wilbarston again i would be vary thankful.

Michael