Author Topic: John McKenzie - A Medical/Health opinion needed.  (Read 1724 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McKenzie - A Medical/Health opinion needed.
« on: Wednesday 06 November 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Evening all,

I ave recently been scouring Chelsea Pensioner records for my 4x GG John McKenzie, and whilst I am still narrowing these down, I believe I MAY have also found a record for his son, John, my 3x GG which I wasnt expecting.

However on this document, it gives medical grounds for his discharge and I wondered if these would lead to this man's eventual death, or if he could have suvived to old age.

It reads thus -

Examination of Invalid Soldiers 12th Sept 1838.

Regiment - 79th Foot, Sir R Ferguson. Rank - Pte.
Name - John McKenzie (in Hospital), Age 25.
A Private for 7years and 3months, served in Canada fo 1 year and 1 month.

Regimental Surgeons Report
'Haemoptysis not attributable to neglect or vice but to exposure to cold & moisture'.

Invalid Depot Report
'Chronic Pulmonary Disease likely to end in Consumption'.

Place of Birth - Ardersier, Campbeltown, Inverness. (My 4x GG was based in Inverness, around Ardersier until roughly 1814, but he was born in Tyree & after 1814 the family moved back to Tyree & Coll, some ending up in Campbeltown).

Can anyone tell me how serious this illness was, and if this man possibly could have survived long after his discharge?

My 3x GG John McKenzie was born between Oct-Dec in 1812 in 'Artnasair Par' Inverness-shire, and married Anabella McFadyen on January 23rd, 1851 on the Isle of Coll. It gives no Occupations on the marriage record, only the place of residence as Arinagour.

Hopefully someone can help,

Keelan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie - A Medical/Health opinion needed.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 22:10 GMT (UK) »
If you Google both conditions you will find the first is coughing up blood and the second could be akin to COPD

Have a read and see what you think.  A friend if mine had COPD for about 7yrs before he died
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie - A Medical/Health opinion needed.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Consumption is usually tuberculosis. He could probably survive for a while with COPD but not so long with TB.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.